Some Newb Painting questions. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some Newb Painting questions.

Hey guys! Im still working out how to paint non metallic colors on my models and have hit a few road bumps.

When I paint non metallic colors I consistenly get a look that has it brighter in some areas and darker in others.
    I can consistenly see my brush strokes in the model, ie I can tell that it is painted.(Is there a way around this.

When I want to remove paint from a certain area but not the whole model (Where I have uneven paint shades) is sanding an option?

How much should I water down paints? I hear a lot of people do this. Is it easier to have watered down paints?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mike_houghton98 View Post
    When I paint non metallic colors I consistenly get a look that has it brighter in some areas and darker in others.
    I can consistenly see my brush strokes in the model, ie I can tell that it is painted.(Is there a way around this.

How much should I water down paints? I hear a lot of people do this. Is it easier to have watered down paints?
    One advice: paint several layers. I never water down paints when painting the primary colors. On a more advanced skill level, it would possibly/probably mean something, but at the newb level, the Citadel paints have the right consistency, IMHO. If you actually see brush strokes, your paint has probably dried up, or you put too much paint on your brush. I only dip the brush in about a milimetre or so. And if there is a drop of paint on the tip, I gently dab it of on a piece of normal copy paper if I'm not to paint a "large" area.

Hope I understood your question and that this gives you something to try out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x3)

Generally you want to start practising watering down your paints as soon as possible. It may seem difficult at first but sooner or later you will get the right consistency to get a smooth coat. Keep in mind that very rarely will a colour go on smooth and flat in one coat. Usually colours require 2-3 coats to keep the colour smooth and solid.

Watering down your paints and painting in layers will also get rid of the visible brush strokes. Also remember to wait for a coat of paint to completely dry before starting another coat.

Basecoating is one of the most important stages of painting and is the foundation of what the rest of the mini will look like.
    Practice your basecoating and you will definetly notice a signifigant improvement in your miniatures quality.

Removing paint from a miniature is a very tedious process (even more so when trying to get it off a specific area of a model) as you do not want to remove any detail from the model . For metal miniatures, using acetone or nail polish remover will work well but plastic is a whole lot different. You will want to avoid sanding your miniatures as this will remove all the datail of the area and ruin your mini. Using Simple Green or Brake Fluid is the safest way to get paint of a plastic miniature, do a quick search on Google and you will get quite a few results for stripping paint off miniatures.
    Good luck with the rest of your painting.

Add me! Let me know your forum name too! =)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So do I basecoat the whole model one color? or pick and choose based on what I am doing in that certain section?

As far as the model I am painting now, I added another layer and it looks decent, much better then before. I also drybrushed some Boltgun metal which in my opinion helps distract from the look

I am painting my GKs and am currently working on my LRC. It was supposed to be the pride and joy of my army ( I love tanks ) I dont think it will turn out to bad but I will post pictures when I am done and seek advice from there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh i see what your problem is. First off yes, primering the model in a good solid coat of either white or black is a good starter, black being the greatest choice imho, reasoin being any where on the model that i can't reach with my brush would be black as shadows, i'd show pictures of my models but i don't have my camera. Anyway for non metallic colours i tend to use soapy water, or a bit of the soap you use for dishwashing, to thin the paint down and creat a smooth coat over big surfaces, it really helps it also slows down the clumpiness i tend to get when the paint starts to dry up on my pallete. As for The LRC, and your GKs, i know its tempting to paint them all metalltic, seeing that most of the models displaced is always in metalltic colours, try this method if you are doing this for metals. Dry brush them a specific silver metal colour like boltgun metal, then let it dry, try a put a watered down tin bitz paint i'd say roughly 1:3 or 1:4 tin bitz and water, and then go over it leaving the edges where all the joints with boltgun metal. Then pick a lighter colour like mithril silver and go over the edges as thin as possible. Just my two cents on it-Sorrowsky

"DID WE JUST SIGN UP FOR A SUICIDE MISSION, RICO?" "YEAH WE JUST DID, WHEN WE ENLISTED" LOVE THE IMPERIAL GUARD, JOIN TODAY!!

+ Reply to Thread