First time hobbyist, will need some help! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First time hobbyist, will need some help!

Hey -- I'm completely new to hobby/wargaming of any sort, so might need a little help! Picked up some sisters for 40k, and painted my first 2 models. Already, few things I have seen go wrong:

1) Glueing this metal is a pain.. Finally found that if I stick a little bit of paper towel ply between the two pieces, it seems to work.
    2) PRIMER! I'm using black from armory. It's either I have a nice thin coat to paint on (I've primed 5 total) and have huge gaps of metal deep in the recesses that I can't well paint on... Or they turn out like the one poor sister, whose bolter is a big black blob
    3) White hair and faces... Oi. On the black primer I've done a coat of grey for both face and hair, then tried a flesh and a wash, but the wash hasnt gone in near-as-nice as in the tutorials I've looked at. The hair - just looks bad, don't know.

Any tips in general would be appreciated. I'm going to go scour the house for a usb to upload some pics.

Oh, and happy new year to those on the east coast.

StM

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    215 (x4)

Item #1: This may be an issue related to cleaning. Make sure you've filed down any mould lines and test fitted the pieces before gluing. You didn't mention what kind of glue you're using, but you should be using superglue and it typically works fine. For larger joins, you'll want to pin the pieces.

Item #2: You didn't mention the temperature or humidity, both of which affect spray paints. My guess is that you're holding it too close, which is resulting in globbing.

Item #3, the grey over black for the hair should be fine. For the flesh, try the Citadel Foundation color, Tallarn Flesh. The foundation paints are designed specifically for initial basecoats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

K, not sure how to embed the pics, attaching. W/ flash on the front it was impossible to see the face, so hope this will suffice
    Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the quick response. As for the primer, I've been holding it about 12 inches away, but the problem I'm having is getting it in the deep spots -- the one time I tried, I moved it too close as you said, and I lost the detail.

For the face, I've been following the guide from Painting Imperial Guard | Librarium Online for the most part, but when I apply the flesh tone, it's kind of granular (I water it down), and I think it's preventing the wash from spreading nicely. On the front view, the one on the right was my first attempt, and you can kind of see that. Any ideas how to get the nice smooth coating like he has? I'll give a shot with the foundation paint though, soon as I can get some on the 2nd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x2)

to get the nice smooth face what i do is to go with one stroke and not many. this prevents the paint to dry and then the next brush will jus build on top making it crapy or uneven tone so dont end your stroke tll you get to the end of where u need to

for example

( --------->)
    (----->)

i dont know if youll get this becuase frienbds say im a bad explainer and i would pop in some pics if my cam wasnt down or if i knew how to put it on the forum XD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

There are many different ways to prime. If you are spraying from 12" you should be fine. If the metal is exposed in the recesses you can always just brush on black paint. That is usually sufficent as you won't really be "touching" those areas so the paint should stay especially if you varnish afterwards.

If that doesn't work for you there are several brush on primers out there that should work well enough...

As for gluing metal... I would suggest pinning the pieces together. It creates a stronger bond and is easier to glue together. Water will help bond superglue as well.

As for the white hair - looks like you have it nice and white. To add definition I would apply very thinned down black ink or brown/flesh ink. The GW glazes work very well for things like this. Once the ink hits the recesses go back over the hair lines with white and they should pop for you!
    Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*raises hand* the problem might be that there is an actual gap between the joint, resulting in primer not getting there. Invest in some green stuff to fill them in, it should also make gluing somewhat easier. There are numerous guides out there, use the search

Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hm.....they don't look too bad for all the dilemmas you're having.

You will probably never 100% completely cover models with spray primer, unless you really lay it in. And that could result in loss of detail. I simply cover the model with a little watered down black afterward to get any spots I might've missed.

Tallarn Flesh should probably cover in one coat, but if it doesn't for some reason, you could use a medium brown as a basecoat.

And now, being all Tarantino I will answer your first question last. Perhaps with the glue you just have a rubbish brand. You could also possibly be using too much? You don't need a whole lot of it on there. Pinning will never hurt either way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the tips, I'm having a go at a batch of three right now to try some of this out. The face (I do first) already looks a bit better, so I'll see how they turn out in the end. If it's not great, maybe I'll take WIP pics as I go next time, so someone might be able to catch my mistakes.

Regards,

StM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    337 (x6)

If those are the first two models you've ever painted I don't think you have much to worry about. Practice is the answer to most painting issues I think and at the rate you seem to be picking it up you'll be a pro before long!

I'd agree with Humorisk that a spray prime never covers all the model but don't worry about it, I think a few patches with little or no prime (which you can cover with pot acrylic and a brush if it worries you) is better than filling all the detail with too much spray.

As for the sticking of metal to metal, when you end up working on larger heavy models this could become a real problem so you'd do well to look into pinning.

rep

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast