Priming question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Priming question

I received a load of skaven miniatures for christmas. Now, i'm wondering whether I should prime/paint before assembling(In order to reach the little nooks and crannies easier) or should i assemble and then paint. Thanks for the help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say that you prime after assembly. However, leave shields separate until they're both painted, it makes life easier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

This is kind of a personal choice type thing. There are pros and cons to doing it either way. I would suggest putting together as much as you feel comfortable and still able to reach details.

It is kind of a pain to paint things in pieces and then assemble them but on the plus side you get to everything with probably more detail than you would otherwise.

Assembling them completely first is quicker generally but you are stuck with areas that you will not easily reach. Usually this can be overcome by first covering those areas in black paint to create "shadow" and give the illusion that it is painted. Then paint everything else around it as much as you can. You especially want to do this if you prime white as white areas unpainted really stand out.

My suggestion is to experiment with a few assembled to a different degree and see what you like best.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

Unless

Unless you are an above average painter I would suggest that you assemble and then undercoat. The capacity for additional detail really isn't relevant until you are doing such a good job that it makes a difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the quick replies, I've decided to get all of them assembled, and tomorrow I'll prime them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey there! I'm new to painting and everything as well but thought I'd give my half a cent on the matter.

I'm going Warriors of Chaos, but the first models I've started painting are some bloodletters I received. I fully assembled one and then painted it (forgot to basecoat... so painting it again), but found some areas a pain to get to. For the rest I've assembled torsos with legs and heads to faces, and then spray coated everything else separately. This way I can get the basecoat and the paint every where I want it easily and then glue the rest together. Its working for me so far. I'm as far as finished base coating; doing touch ups I realized if you're keeping the pieces seperate you'll either have to wait a little longer for each piece to dry so you can hold onto it and paint the rest of it, or risk smudging and sticky black/white fingers. Tomorrow I'll start painting and then glueing, I'll let you know how everything turns out.

Goodluck with your Skaven!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    138 (x0)

I would defiantly assemble them first leaving the Shields of until the figure is painted. One thing that gets over looked with Skaven is putting the model together so the can be set up in regiments. The tales are nightmares I remember my wife put two regiments of clan rats together it took days to get them all to go on the movement trays with out touching

+ Reply to Thread