Testors Paint? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Testors Paint?

0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

48 (x1)

Testors Paint?

Hey Everyone.

Okay, so I recently bought a kit of Testors Paint that seemed like a really good deal. The whole thing was $20, and came with a nice variety of flat colours. 11 total, I believe along with some other accesories like model glue, a knife, several brushes etc.

Unfortrunately, I didn't realize how much of a pain it is because...
    1. you have to use paint thinner or some form of Lacquer to clean your brushes and the whole process is just a lot more fumey and messy.

2. Sometimes it difficult to maintain a consistent paint thickness and you have to slowly mix thinner with a little bit to get it to spready smoothly. Unfortunately, I think I started painting too thick on some of my first 40 Ork boyz.

At any rate, I was wondering if anyone else ever used Testors. If not, I'm curious what else you use that is more on affordable side and something I could get in perhaps a painting "kit".

2. Remove Advertisements

Crestwood, IL, USA
    1 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

280 (x6)

These are enamel paints, not acrylics - hence the need for thinner. I used them before for other minis, but since I moved to 40K i switched to acrylics almost entirely - less messy and smells much nicer, plus you can lick your brushes all you want

I have several enamel metallics - these are nice and very bright, but only ones I decided worth keeping. Switch over to GW or Vallejo - you will not be sorry. GW if you want to have an easy time matching colors and having good coverage, Vallejo if you want "dropper" bottles and more smooth/watery consistency in your paint

Mixing your own colors might help with the number of basic colors needed, but consistency might be a problem if you need to get the same colors many times. GW's foundation paints are great too - I recommend getting one or two colors based on the primary color of your army. Washes are great too - much better than the old inks (however I still have jars of the original brown and chestnut inks).

With brushes and paint, it seems that quality stuff is not cheap, but $30 or so should get you started painting...

0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

14 (x1)

Testors paint is not something you want to use. its smelly and a pain in general to use.

thewarstore.com has paint sets from Vellejo, GW, Reaper Master/Model/Airbrush and P3.
    with the 20% off this webstore offers you should be able to pick up a good paint set cheap.
    May the "Nurgley Goodness" protect you!

+ Reply to Thread