Forgeworld Items - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forgeworld Items

Hey guys

Ok, so a few years back when i got some of those Cadian upgrade packs from FW, i got a note saying i should leave in some warm soapy water to get rid of the oily film that the items had gained due to casting.

I didnt pay any attention to that and wished i had cos they took ages to paint properly lol

Now, ive just received my Thunderhawk but dont have any similar instructions. the models themselves dont seem as 'filmy' as the cadians i had a few years back.

So can any1 point out what i should do? do i need to soak them? or can i just assemble and paint like a normal tank?

Cheers,

Shaabhekh

In the name of the Emperor and for the Glory of the Imperium... Gimme Back My Girlfriend! :(

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

qsd
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x2)

It's a good idea to wash them anyways to make sure all the mold release is gone.
    I'm sure you would want to paint something like a Thunderhawk as best as possible
    There is no such thing as a plea for innocence in my court. A plea for innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
    - Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok, so warm soapy water and give it a bit of scrub with an old toothbrush or something yea? or just soak it all?

Shaabhekh
    In the name of the Emperor and for the Glory of the Imperium... Gimme Back My Girlfriend! :(

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

Use a toothbrush. I soaked my FW Inquisitor model 3 times, and the paint still doesn't stick right. I soaked my FW Thunderbolt pilot and scrubbed with a brush one time and it's taking paint fine. The trick is NOT to wash off the soap before you scrub. If you wash with water first it doesn't work at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    337 (x6)

even when I have soaked and scrubbed my FW bits I find GW paint still struggles to stick to resin, although car primer did a great job. Still maybe I need to wash harder

Chilli Fueled Heretic danjones87's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1329 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Forgeworld FAQ
    This isn't always necessary but I find it's generally better to be safe than sorry. Washing will help with the painting stage later. To get the best results from washing your model components I'd suggest using a mild abrasive cleaner diluted in water. I use a kitchen floor cleaner diluted in water. The models should then be given a scrub with an old toothbrush or something similar. A toothbrush is useful as the bristles are fine enough to fit into small gaps but firm enough to actually do something. I usually leave the components to soak for a little while before using the toothbrush. Then remove the models, rinse thoroughly and allow them to dry.
    The reason for doing this is to make sure all traces of mould release fluids are removed. It also gives a very slight abrasion to the surface of the model that with some of the smoother models will help with paint adhesion.

I use warm water and washing up liquid. If you do use floor cleaner to clean your resin, test it first with a off cut.

Two light coats of spray will work better than one.

Dan
    Last edited by danjones87; January 10th, 2009 at 14:46.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many Thanks Guys

Much Appreciated

Shaabhekh

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

I wash all my minis - FW or not, with dish-washing fluid or soap and a brush

+ Reply to Thread