Some painting questions. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some painting questions.

I need some help with some painting questions.

1. How do I paint white over a chaos black undercoat using Citadel paints [as simple as possible]

2. For robes if they're painted white how do you shade them like get colours in the cracks and recesses or folds of the robes.

3. Would High Elves painted really well but to the regular standard GW paint scheme be worth entering in the GD?

Thanks.

Help my dragon grow! pfft dont bother anymore he died since he didnt get enough clicks >:(

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    65 (x1)

This can be done a couple of ways, however I would say, for robs, you should work your way up through grey - astronomican, to codex grey and then start mixing in bits of white. Don't forget, white is very hard to paint, and should be applied in lots of thin layers.

As for the robes, these will be done the same way as above, simply leave the recesses darker as you layer up.

As for Golden Demon, take a look at sites like coolminiornot.com - this will give you an idea of the standard required to win...there are many techniques to learn such as blending etc.

As a start, I'd suggest hopping over to a site such as Brushthralls, or cool mini or not, and having a look at the myriad of tutorials on things such as light source as well as colour choice, and how to use certain techniques.

I'd also say grab a copy of how to paint citadel miniatures...It's a good resource to have a look at when you're not sure.

There are plenty of tutorials online too, not to mention on this site!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Sun View Post
    1. How do I paint white over a chaos black undercoat using Citadel paints [as simple as possible]
    Astronomican Grey (it's one of Citadel's Foundation paints) and then white. If you don't have Astonomican Grey, Codex or Fortress Grey will work, it's just they don't cover black so well.
    In the future you'll know that if the model will have a lot of whites or yellows (bright colours) a white undercoat is better

2. For robes if they're painted white how do you shade them like get colours in the cracks and recesses or folds of the robes.
    Easiest way is to use Badab Black wash. It will seep into the folds of the robes and give you instant shading when it dries.
    If you don't have that, it can be done with a heavily watered down grey or black.

3. Would High Elves painted really well but to the regular standard GW paint scheme be worth entering in the GD?
    Yes. For GD the models really need to be noticed. Well painted models will do that no matter what colour scheme is used.
    Even if you don't win, consider it a learning experience.
    And over there we have the labyrinth guards.
    One always lies, one always tells the truth, and one stabs people who ask tricky questions.
    http://xkcd.com/246

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x1)

EDIT: i just realised u r only 12 so you may want to try your luck in AUS Young Bloods cause IMO the standard there is quite low...explains how my idiot brother won

with GD anything painted to a high enough standard will have a chance but if you are talking something simple like a unit of archers or spearman painted really well to a standard colour scheme then NO. Mainly cause it will pale incomparison to other entries with the convertion, freehand and other colour combinations you see in GD..well in Oz anyway.

But check out CMON it willl give you a fair idea of what the standards are like ATm..i swear it gets harder every year.

Happy watermelon,

-Dwayne

p.s: got any pics of your stuff lying round the forum so i can see what you like painting?????
    Last edited by Dwayne; January 11th, 2009 at 08:25.
    CHK CHK BOOM!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the help guys

I have a fair understanding of the layering to white and the robes now just one last thing.

With the High Elves do you rekon Icy Blue and Burnished Gold with some snow on their base would look good I can paint Icy Blue really well would that do it for GD?

Ya I entered last year with my Ogres got through by default then at regional I lost to a bunch of Orks and Gobbos....

Help my dragon grow! pfft dont bother anymore he died since he didnt get enough clicks >:(

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

I agree with CBrate - if you are painting a lot of white it is best to start with a white undercoat rather than black.

One thing that wasn't mentioned really was that you can actually shade the white with brown rather than black or grey. The new devlan mud wash from GW is very good.

Normally how I paint white is to start with a base of bone white. Wash with the devlan mud, and work your way up to white. I don't use GW paints so I do bone, ivory, off-white, and finally white for the highlight.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    337 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by CBrate View Post
    Even if you don't win, consider it a learning experience.
    or a way to avoid the massive queues at games day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

88 (x1)

Thanks for the help guys

I have a fair understanding of the layering to white and the robes now just one last thing.

With the High Elves do you rekon Icy Blue and Burnished Gold with some snow on their base would look good I can paint Icy Blue really well would that do it for GD?
    Hmm..ice blue...thats one frieaking weird colour, as long as you shade it quite dark and use the ice blue as a soughta highlight I guess it could work for GD. Honestly burnished gold is a lil'to bright and pale for any mettallics but if you darken it with some washes of browns and maybe some juices of green and purlpe it could be good??...who knows this is just me running things through my mind onto the keyboard.

Are we talking YoungBloods like a high elf mage or lord or somfink here or regiment??
    CHK CHK BOOM!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

88 (x1)

Oh yeah umm this won SILVER in YoungBloods in AUstralia this year

I DID NOT PAINT THIS!..it was painted by Kevin Lau

SO as you can see the standard in AUs for youngbloods ain't very high so I reckon a decent paint job and you have a shot at gold.

cheers,

-Dwayne
    CHK CHK BOOM!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well Im entering a High Elf Prince on Steed and a Spearmen Standard Bearer I'lle be doing some Freehand on.

For the Prince on Steed I wasn't thinking of anything too risky but I could do a really nice white horse with some highlights, but I was just thinking "what" sorts of highlights should I do them in grey or brown? Plus he looks like a hard models to paint with lots of detail but Im quite neat so I could wrap that up with some snow on the base too purhaps.

As for the Spearmen I really have no idea what to do for the banner they have two separate banners on one pole crossed over with his spear so maybe I could do like 2 spears crossing over the 2 banners like a cross, or I could write "High Elves" In some cool writing and do some Runes across the banner. But I'lle also do some nice work on the gems and apart from that paint him up like usual.

Thing is I really want to have a chance this year, I dont want to get through by default like last year cause it felt pretty bad almost like cheating in a way and I really want to stand a chance this year not be like one of the kids who just brings in some random models.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast