Modular Outpost/Bunkers (WIP) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Modular Outpost/Bunkers (WIP) Picture Heavy

Hi, this is my first terrain piece, and first WIP.

During the last couple of days I have been working on and off on a modular outpost/bunker.
    I started out with several pieces of packing styrofoam that just screamed "bunker!" at me.

But as I started carving it and putting it together I figured that something was missing, but what?

After much thought it hit me, It should be bigger!

And thus it started to grow. Adding a central "tower" and then another bunker segment.

Now it somewhat hard to explain in words what it looks like, so pictures!

These are not the best quality, old cam and bad lighting (and a white photo subject..)
    But it gives you the general idea.

Now the part I am not sure about...

Did I make it to big?

It is currently 14"(W) X 14"(L) X 9.5"(H)

After counting it up I found that the one im making now can take 205X25mm bases
    now this number will decrease when I start adding bits (barrels an such). But that = a good sized part of an all infantry IG army . Granted they will not all be looking the same way. but it will be more like 50/50.
    It can also fit 4 leman russ sized tanks (without sponsons!) by driving up the planed ramps and onto the second story battlements, however, this will present side armour since there is no place to turn on the battlements.

At the moment the only large things missing from the structure is the access ramps to the second level battlements, and to add walls to the ends of the bunker segments (so they are not open in each end), and some internal supports (for the look) under the bunker roof's (so that it at least looks like it can support a tank)

The modular bit is that you can remove the second story battlements and bunker roof (one piece) and replace them, because they are magnetized. I am so happy with using magnets that they will most likely be a permanent feature of my terrain.

Also a friend told me that she could get me some magnetized paint, and if I simply put a magnet under each base I have, then the whole "topple of hill slopes" problem is over!

To cover up the fact that it is styrofoam, Im using spatula (spelling?) to create a more "concrete look". It somewhat hard to see on the pictures, but I will try to get some better ones up when I have the time.

The Top down view, a necron warrior, a dreadnought, a grey knight termie, and grey knight in power armour.

Front/Side shot

Another Front/Side shot

Yet another Front/Side shot, this time with bunker roof and second level battlements

Close up on dread and central tower

Last pic , another top down shot, please note that the upper right battlement is missing some of the floor

It is built with IG in mind, but any race that enjoys cover should benefit from this

I am also in the process of writing rules for it. (is it a bunker, does it have fire points? is it area terrain? what armour value? and so on)

Any hints/tips or other comments?

Cheers !

Last edited by Valthonis; January 14th, 2009 at 01:45.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like a really good start to a piece of terrain. I would say tha you may have made it a tad to big though. I usually stick to terrain pieces no bigger than 12" by 12", with varying hieght, but this is just my opinion....

On the subject of painting, the spatual idea is good, and i've used it before, but just know, it can crack, so it's better to do many small layers, rather than one. And don't sand it too much after it is dry.

Good luck!
    "Exitus Acta Probat: the Outcome Justifies the Deed." -- Dictatus Vindicare

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi

Im adding many many layers of spatula, both to add some much needed weight to the structure, and because Im not happy with the look just yet

I've been thinking up some rules for it while waiting for the spatula to dry.

Imperial Outpost :

Built to endure heavy enemy fire, this outpost serves as a command nexus for the front line troops. From this structure they send out patrols to secure local territory. And from its walls they halt any enemy attack.

Central Tower
    The structure is not garrisonable, but units may enter the doors from the battlements to reach the roof. Any unit with all its models within 3” of any door into the tower may be placed on the roof. And vice versa.

Units inside the bunkers around the central tower may enter the doors inside the bunkers and may be placed within 3” of any door on the second level battlements. And vice versa.

The roof gives the models a very good vantage point, and provides fortified walls.
    (a 3+ cover save).

Optional :
    Improved Com-Relay and master Vox : If any officer is on the roof, he may extend his leadership through the master vox built into the outpost. The army also benefits from the use of the Com-Relay

Bunker 1
    This structure is connected to the base of the central tower, providing two solid bunker for troops to enter. Each bunker can hold two units up to a total of 20 models. (Terminators count as two models).

The bunkers are seperated by a strong internal wall running diagonally from the outer corner of the structure to the central tower. The bunker is built to last, and reinforced with a layer of ceramite armour to reduce the effects of melta weapons.

Two bunkers with the following statline

F : 14 S : 14 R : not available .
    Melta weapons do not roll the extra d6 for armour penetration.
    Model capacity : 20 Models (max 2 units)

Battlement 1
    On top of the bunker there is a battlement, this provides a second level. Giving defending troops a height advantage as well as a fortified wall (3+ cover save). The roof of the bunker beneath is also reinforced, so the battlement can hold the weight of several tanks or walker machines. To get onto the battlements a unit or model must either be inside one of the four level 1 bunkers, or walk/drive up the access ramps.

Bunker 2

see bunker 1

Battlement 2

see battlement 1

The red line shows where the diagonal internal wall will be. Each section of the bunker can hold 20 models (max 2 units) like described above. Thus each main bunker is split in two, for a total of four bunkers, with a total capacity of 80 models (8 units)

I am starting to think it will be best to use this structure in a themed battle. Either that or water down its rules a bit, like making the cover save a 4+, and the bunker 12/13 and vulnerable to melta weapons. OR make it cost points, so that a player can "buy" it.

I can see a couple of missions with this beast in the middle of the map, with an IG player with 25% less points than the attacker trying to hold of the enemy.

Well, back to building the thing!

cheers
    Last edited by Valthonis; January 15th, 2009 at 01:50.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Looks good so far, and I think the word you are looking for is spackle or Polyfilla (a brand of spackle in the UK) as a spatula is a kitchen tool used for turning or flipping food, it can also be used to apply spackle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp_slug View Post
    Looks good so far, and I think the word you are looking for is spackle or Polyfilla (a brand of spackle in the UK) as a spatula is a kitchen tool used for turning or flipping food, it can also be used to apply spackle.
    Yea, The stuff used on walls to fill gaps/holes before painting

Ah, I did a quick google translate on the word "sparkel" , the norwegian word for spackle, and that turned up the word spatula..

Cheers
    Last edited by Valthonis; January 16th, 2009 at 00:49.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I must say, this is not only a good start and impressive...it's also quite inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow that looks awesome!

+ Reply to Thread