Help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help

I need a little help with my painting skill...
    My marines look a bit like crap, i will have pics up soon. Some people i play with say that It's because i dont layer it right. I under coat it black, Dry brush over with the general armor colors: Red and yellow then highlight corners...

Anything i'm missing

"I know why dont we have wild lesbian sex infront of your boyfriend *evil giggle*" - IDEAS:There are good ideas, bad ideas and ground breaking ideas....and my friends this is a ground breaking idea

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x2)

XD there your problem you cant dry brush entire models with out any base color. if you gonna dry brush red you get a darker tone of rad and then drybrush a brighter red on top or you can layer with leaveing the edges darker then the middle. so if you do blue too you put a darker blue first then your drybrush a lighter color on top so there a contrast not just black then blue XD. if you understood me then good if not post pics so i can help you better XD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also most people prefer a white basecoat with bright army colours such as red and yellow since you have to do a lot more layering for the colours to not luck very dull/sooty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well i dry brush it so just a realy thin line of black stays in the crack. It looked better then my original dull of just apply pain to area and no layering
    "I know why dont we have wild lesbian sex infront of your boyfriend *evil giggle*" - IDEAS:There are good ideas, bad ideas and ground breaking ideas....and my friends this is a ground breaking idea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain_TyphonII View Post
    well i dry brush it so just a realy thin line of black stays in the crack. It looked better then my original dull of just apply pain to area and no layering
    Well, if you're drybrushing so heavily that only the cracks don't get the paint, maybe you should just...paint the areas instead of drybrushing! But then you say that it looks bettar than if you just painted so I suppose you prefer the drybrush look. IF you wanna keep it that way, I agree with the 1st poster about putting a blue layer first and drybrushing a lighter shade. Use Enchanted/Regal/Mordian Blue for the basecoat, Mechrite/Scab for red schemes.

Also consider changing the technique, i.e. apply the basecoat, wash with a dark colour and then re-apply the 1st colour or use a slightly brighter shade, but apply it only on the raised areas. That should give you speed and a nice contrast. The October and November White Dwarfs have good tutorials on painting Marines, I suggest you check them out. There are both simple and advanced techniques.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Drybrushing that heavily will layer the paint on awfully thick, and that may be why you're not liking the results.

Also, as has been said, painting a bright color like red or yellow over black is... challenging. Better to either undercoat with white or use a foundation color (GW's strong-pigment paint) to do a traditional undercoat.

Either way, the best way to start is to do a thin undercoat or two. I know that's more tedious, but trust me, you'll appreciate the results more in the end. Using a dark version of your drybrush color as an undercoat will make the drybrushed layers look MUCH better, and you may find you need less drybrushing in the end, too. A good wash will help, too.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

+ Reply to Thread