painting 101? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: painting 101?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

painting 101?

I really want to take my painting to the next level. right now i think my miniatures are table top quality, some have flaws but overall i am happy with them. I look around here and see some beautiful figures and was wondering.

how do I highlight a bright color my space marines chapter is a base coat of hawk turquoise but they look plain and flat. without any highlights, should i just use white?

i'm a fairly new painter ( usually just do scenery) but playing is no fun with a bunch of gray models. what is the best way to learn techniques like shading? is that even possible with a color like hawk turquoise. sorry if that's a dumb question.

can you make a wash by combining GW paints and water?

Thanks
    -John

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

For a highlight of Hawk Turquoise, I suggest you add a small amount of skull white. It makes it brighter, apply it to the edges of your miniature (edge of shoulder pads for example) and you should have an effect highlight. Just don't make the highlights too thick.

There are threads in the Completed Tutorials section, you should fine something to help. Otherwise there are dozens of websites out there that detail painting methods, have a look around. But in general, to shade you use a darker shade of the colour you are using (for example - blue you would use regal blue to shade enchanted blue). There are a number of ways to apply shading.

One
    Using the darkest shade, apply it to all the areas you desire. Then using your basecoat (or main colour you want them to be) you apply it to the same areas you just put the darker tone one, however, you leave areas of the darker colour showing. This is usually done at the edge of plates, or in the cracks and crevasses. This will be your shade.

Two
    Paint your main colour on the areas you want, then apply a wash to this area. Washes are designed to darken the area, and to flow into the cracks and depressions - making a shade. Then like above, re-apply the basecoat, leaving the shade in the deepest part of the area.

And yes, you can make washes. It is usually a task of adding more water to the paint until it becomes very watery. However, making your own wash can be difficult, so until you are use to them, it is a good idea to stick to the pre-made GW ones.

Kuffy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the tips Ulrik!!!!

+ Reply to Thread