Moonlit undead. Guidance requested! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Slaaneshi Battle Barge CO
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    127 (x5)

Moonlit undead. Guidance requested!

As a quick disclaimer, I'm a pretty crappy painter. Please bear that in mind when making suggestions.

I primered around 2k of Vamp Counts a few weeks before last Halloween, but couldn't bear the thought of putting the brush to them because I'm convinced that I'd just mess them up. I've decided, however, that this weekend I'm going to sit down and try to paint some of my VC army.

In hopes of getting them to come out looking decent (or as decent as rotting, shambolic, walking corpses can look) I'd like to request some painting advice.

I'd like to go for a moonlit look, using mostly blues and white (and perhaps a bit of yellow) on top of a black base. Basically, my plan is to spray the models from above with a very dark blue, the liberally semi-drybrush a lighter blue, then another drybrush of a still lighter blue and finish off with with highlights of white and yellow. I've heard that this color scheme is relatively quick and easy to paint, but since this is the first time I've tried anything like this, I'm a bit intimidated.

I have a couple questions about this process. Should I wash or ink the models? If so, at what point? Also, I'd like to include a hint of how the models would be colored if they were viewed under daylight (for example, green zombie flesh).. how can I do that without breaking up my moonlit color scheme? Lastly, how do I go about making the metallic portions (armor and weapons) look metallic while still maintain the moonlight look? I'd prefer to use metallic paint for that, but I'm not quite certain how to do it.

Thanks in advance to anyone who offers advice! Detailed instructions will be very much appreciated.

"Is Archon Braigh-Dee going to have to choke a Wych?

Courtesy of Wicky: D.C.S.S.E.P.C.I.C.B.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what you are trying to get as an end result, I would suggest a few trial units to start off.

First I would suggest starting with a single test figure of one of your lower detail models,
    show us what you intend to do. Post the image, allow a critique of it and we will be able to steer you with tips/hints about how to get more out of it if necessary

Sound advice to start, water your paints down, clumpy paint on skeles and ghouls detracts from the overall image, its better to do 2-3 layers of the same color rather than one blotchy layer.

Look forward to pics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

Sounds like an interesting project but an advanced one at that... As suggested I would definitely start with a test piece to see if you can create the moonlight effect well enough to do the whole army. Whenever you go for a glow effect be it moonlight, sunlight, fire reflection, etc... you really want to start with a natural base color for what you are doing (for example flesh for a face) and then work in some of the color from the reflection into that base color.

A very clear idea of what you are wanting to achieve and perhaps some visual reference should help you get close to your goals. Usually you need to really work up a lot of blends to get it to look good so I would probably anticipate a lot of work involved.

With metallics I would still base with the metallics and lightly glaze over it with very watered down ink in the colors you are looking for (sounds like blue).

Definitely share your WIP pictures and more specifics can be given. Good luck on your project.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

127 (x5)

I'm trying for something like this:
    Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a lot of the effect there is caused by an intense light source, that and an insane amount of white highlighting to convey the direction of the light source.

Beyond that , a simple model start off basing midnight blue on the fleshy tones and probably black on cloth.

Begin to grade the flesh to skull white
    With the cloth use a few 50/50 layers of black and brown,
    on fleshy edges, use thin line of pallid flesh/skull white 50/50.
    then on the bare edges,for cloth, where the light source would be the brightest use a thin line of brown and white 50/50.

Look forward to seeing your test minis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

Those figures look very effective. Looks to be a very limited color pallete. I probably wouldn't recommend lightenting the paint with white but rather a bone or tan color instead. There looks to be quite a bit of blending involved but with care it should be a rather stunning looking army. Please do share your progress.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

127 (x5)

Progress is being made. I'll put a few photos up tonight if I can find the time!

+ Reply to Thread