Wolf Guard Huscarls - Grey Knight Stand-in Project - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Junior Member Kveld-Ulf - Wulfen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wolf Guard Huscarls - Grey Knight Stand-in Project

I've been playing Space Wolves since 1998 and fell in love with them as soon as I saw them. I love the Norse and all the references in the Wolf fluff and so have been working on a major army project. My current army is a Mechanised force under the command of Egil Iron Wolf.

Now however, I'm working on a second 3000pt Great Company - Ragnar's Company - with the idea in mind that the entire force is a drop army. What with the new rules allowing us to use codex drop pods, it makes this type of force truly formidable. All of my squads will be customised, be it minor tweaks in poses and extra pelts or cannibalisation of other kits.

My mind went wild with ideas until it decided (against my better judgement) to go and introduce some Grey Knight terminators into the mix along with a squad of deep strike Knights. After a little play testing (and much to my chargrin and the jealousy of the rest of the army), they actually turned out to be key components to my army, pulling off things that even the Wolf Guard couldn't achieve.

Mind still in conversion mode, it struck upon an idea: Make the Greay Knights Wolfy!

How to do this? Well, it struck me that among even the Heroes of the Wolf Guard, there would be those that were superior to all the others, these men would be the Wolf Guard Battle leaders and the future Wolf Lords, the exceptional men who could lead the Wolves to greatness. With that in mind, I pondered how to justify all the special rules and everything fell into place. A particularly powerful Rune Priest, skilled in obfuscation and pyschic suppression coupled with men able to access the most ancient relics of the Chapter. Give the terminators Frost Blades et voila! Simple justification for a Grey Knight squad that's Wolfy!

The project:
    So far I'm still assembling what I need. The aim is to have a total of 10 terminators including the Rune Priest and 10 in power armour.

For the terminators, I will be using the Forge World kit as a base and will be sculpting beards, teeth and pelts to make each one unique. I'm still undecided where to get the axes as I want something suitably impressive to warrant being a Frost Blade. Axes, hammers or swords would work, but I want a definite Wolfy/ Nordic feel. I'm considering the Chaos Marauder axes at the moment.

The rune priest will use the legs from the old terminator model, and I think I'll pinch the staff from Njall Stormcaller.

Any suggestions for equipment, bitz sources, background or conversion ideas for a really unique squad will be welcomed.

Pictures to follow soon.

~Adam

"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf and the stength of the Wolf is his pack." - Rudyard Kipling

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

i will stay and fight Sealancer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x1)

May I suggest checking with a WHFB Empire player for some heads from the Knights sprue? The Knights of Ulric have some nice heads for conversion on Spacewolf heads, and some decent hammers and axes. Good luck on your project!
    "Courage without the presence of fear is like a pistol without bullets. Meaningless." Colonel Igor Massif, 6777th Severite Rifles M40

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aye, been searching ebay for them, though looking at this tutorial here: Articles

I'm seriously considering doing a lot of resculpts for the armour. I've got a lot of references for Norse knotwork from my re-enactment group and a bit of plasticard with gs could work well with a bit of practice.
    "For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf and the stength of the Wolf is his pack." - Rudyard Kipling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    182 (x5)

You know I was in search of heads too...

What I have found out: From the Fantasy range you can use the Chaos Marauders heads (especially the bear-headed ones) and some from the Empire (I think the Flaggelants!)

I can't wait to see pics of the project...

Oh and a note! There are some Empire models very beautiful and suitable for Wolves but unfortunately one piece and metal! I can't remember the name...
    Thanks to all the people showing faith in me

I sometimes feel that everyone will leave me and they will be on their own...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wolves of Ulric I believe.

I'm finishing off painting a 1500 point tourney army before working on this, but it shouldn't be more than a month or so before I get started.

Anyone know some good suppliers in the UK for plasticard and super sculpey?

+ Reply to Thread