Painting Eldar Aspect Warriors - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Painting Eldar Aspect Warriors

Hi all,

I am after a bit of advice, Eldar aspect warriors seem to come in preset colour schemes relevant to their particular shrine. I think it makes an eldar army look a little bleeh and was wondering if anyone paints them up in their craftworld colours and if we could see some examples.

I am making a biel-tan eldar army but don't want all these blue and orange guys messing with the armies colour scheme.

Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Skarsgard View Post
    I think it makes an eldar army look a little bleeh and was wondering if anyone paints them up in their craftworld colours and if we could see some examples.
    I personally think that if all models were Biel-Tan colours it might be a little bland as well. I'd prefer a compromise and do it similar to how some Techmarines and Librarians indicate their loyalties with their shoulderpads a different colour (though you might use another part, say the helmets).

There's no rule indicating that the aspect shrine colours must be used. I've seen Uthwe Scorpions where only the helmets were green (and even then it was mostly the mandiblasters that were green, the face plates were still black). Sorry no pics, it's not my army.
    And over there we have the labyrinth guards.
    One always lies, one always tells the truth, and one stabs people who ask tricky questions.
    http://xkcd.com/246

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x1)

Hi!

I have a (very) small Ulthwé army and I did like this: I painted the warriors armour in a very dark colour, dark blue for my Avengers and black for my Dragons and Scorpions. The Ds and Ss were then highlighted around the edges of their armour with their respective colours. I then tried to incorporate Bleached bone into the paintjob in different places, mainly weapons and helmets.
    This makes my warriors look dark, almost black, with Bleached bone details just like the rest of the army but still I'v kept their aspect colours...
    Currently painting the Waaagh! of Warboss Borboss - Goff and Evil Sunz warband

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    539 (x8)

I'm making all my models in my own Craftworld Lileanesh colors: turqois and white. But i plan on using these colors as a starting point: my Dire Guardians (dire avengers without the naff hats) have blue face plates and shoulderpads.
    My dark reapers will have black and white heads with plates on their upper body in black, perhaps even more black.

I do this because i prefer my own color scheme but still like to pay tribute to the established paint schemes.

Lileanesh warpspider:
    Last edited by Zema; January 21st, 2009 at 11:36.
    Got a "good" rumour from a GW staffer? Forget about it, LO'ers know more than any random GW shop staffer.
    Voor alle nederlanders:
    The Dutch Legion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Hmm, I like that idea.

I might try a test model and see how it looks.

Thanks.

Rep all round.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

I saw a project thread on another forum where the painter did a "winter" theme. He applied the color scheme to all his models, regardless of aspect. He has superior skill, so it all looked breathtaking, though if I could make one nit, it would be that it all looked a little too alike, especially from a distance.

You might consider a uniform color scheme, but as has been sort of suggested above, instead of using different colors from your scheme for various aspects, how about using different SHADES of your scheme? For example, let's say you want a red scheme (like Saim-Hann or something). You paint your farseer, warlocks, vehicles and guardians in the uniform color, say a predominant blood red base, but if you have, say, striking scorpions, you use the same red, but lighten it up with yellow or blazing orange to look a little more "orangey." On the flip side, if you have dire avengers or dark reapers you darken the red, using, say, a base of scab red. The scheme is similar enough throughout the army to be uniform, but different enough to tell special units at a glance.

It also depends upon your fluff. Some craftworld armies rely heavily upon warriors from a certain aspect. If, for example, your army relies upon dire avengers, you could paint the avengers in traditional colors, then adopt a darker (or lighter) version for the rest of your army, symbolizing their relationship with your aspect. Kinda like the "harlequin armies" they used to do some time back, when that army list was possible. Remember the "Laughing God" wraithlords?
    Last edited by Canew; January 21st, 2009 at 15:38.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I'm doing is a bit simplistic but fluff based. I have a full squad of each aspect painted all black, with a small denotation of the origional aspect color and a small bit of the craftworld's primary color. All other aspect warriors are painted in a darker tone of the initial preset aspect color, with craftworld's primary color prevelant somewhere on the model. When I finish my "lost" Warp Spiders I'll post 'em here with a normal Warp Spider as an example of the contrast.
    Eldar W/D/L: 17/15/12
    Ordo Malleus W/D/L: 24/3/4
    Crimson Fists: In Progress

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Try what they did in dawn of war. The same colors are used, but in vastly different proportions from model to model, giving the army a sense of unification while at the same time unifying each unit. Also, adding a bit of trim in aspect color wouldn't hurt either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

Never really cared for Eldar aspect warriors anyways, always felt like they were going to a costume party instead of fighting a battle:

"Ooh I'm a scary scorpion"

*Space Marine rolls eyes before beating to a bloody pulp*
    Blais's Paint Studio-Getting broken armies good soft scores since 2009

+ Reply to Thread