Just GW? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just GW?

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Just GW?

Inspired by a thread on another forum, I want to ask you...

Are you a GW only person for your paints and tools, or do you like to have your fingers in multiple pies?

I will admit, most of my tools are GW brought. This is mainly because I know I can get them, rather than hunting them down in cheap shops. I do of course have non-GW stuff, too many things out there that are handy for a hobbyist. For my paints I am a mix between GW and Vajello game mostly, but numerous paints from the model range are among my collection (I expect to expand these further). I also own a couple pots of Tamyia, and my LGS has P3, which I'd like to try out.

Brush wise, I have various sable ones - most really old and used for other purposes. My main brushes are my two Windsor and Newton Series 7 brushes. Never had better! They're just expensive to buy.

So, you a pure GW person?

Kuffy

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

No, I'm definitely not, and I usually try not to be Their stuff is cool, but just too expensive. My stuff's pretty similar to yours, most paints are Vallejo, brushes are GW/WN7 although I just got the WN7 recently and haven't used them much, GW's standard size is holding up pretty well. I don't really have that many tools, and it's a mix, for example I got a great hobby knife from a dollar store, but I couldn't find a hand-drill anywhere so I just bought it at GW.

I do, however, paint GW's minis only.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

GW is a convenient harbour for all things... but you of all people should know the value of Wargame Emporium!

As you're in the City of Steel, may I also recommend Pinders near the bottom of The Moor near GW?

For artistic supplies is pretty good - especially for better brushes. Additionally, near there is the B&Q still there? That's where I got my Kuffy-inspired-cork board for bases.

Anywho... I generally use GW - but only out of convenience. It's well worth holding out and stalking various hardware places and stuff for really useful tools.

GW may to glue, clippers, a great drill and paints...

But what about wire, soldering irons, vices, really hardcore glue, magnifying glasses, thinning agents etc etc?

Depends on what you need I guess

Papa K
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x0)

I only buy my washes from GW, everything else is none GW stuff of better quality and cheaper price

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    GW is a convenient harbour for all things... but you of all people should know the value of Wargame Emporium!

As you're in the City of Steel, may I also recommend Pinders near the bottom of The Moor near GW?

For artistic supplies is pretty good - especially for better brushes. Additionally, near there is the B&Q still there? That's where I got my Kuffy-inspired-cork board for bases.

Anywho... I generally use GW - but only out of convenience. It's well worth holding out and stalking various hardware places and stuff for really useful tools.

GW may to glue, clippers, a great drill and paints...

But what about wire, soldering irons, vices, really hardcore glue, magnifying glasses, thinning agents etc etc?

Depends on what you need I guess

Papa K
    Oh, I use that place as much as possible. So good with the discount for the club. Pinders, you say? Hmm, might have to hunt that one down. Not sure where the B&Q is, my house mate said it was miles away, and I inspired you?

Kuffy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    110 (x4)

I wouldn't say I'm pure GW, but I do use a lot of their stuff mainly for the reason you said, that being the ease of knowing they have what I am after.

I do however use different glue, comes in a blue pot with a needle-type nib to it, as well as files and paint-brushes from other brands, but in terms of paints its all GW.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by King Ulrik Flamebeard View Post
    Oh, I use that place as much as possible. So good with the discount for the club. Pinders, you say? Hmm, might have to hunt that one down. Not sure where the B&Q is, my house mate said it was miles away, and I inspired you?

Kuffy
    From GW you can virtually see Pinders. It's just further away from Town. The guys inside GW should know about it. It's a good place to get daylight bulbs and other such stuff.

From that GW, B&Q or Wycks or whatever should be a stone's throw away - once again away from town towards London Road and Waitross etc.

Failing that (which your're so good at :p), ask the guys at the University club.

And yes, your jump pack chaplain is one of the finest marine figures I've seen, I asked you specifically about basing regarding that model.

Karmoon
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1372 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    From GW you can virtually see Pinders. It's just further away from Town. The guys inside GW should know about it. It's a good place to get daylight bulbs and other such stuff.

From that GW, B&Q or Wycks or whatever should be a stone's throw away - once again away from town towards London Road and Waitross etc.

Failing that (which your're so good at :p), ask the guys at the University club.

And yes, your jump pack chaplain is one of the finest marine figures I've seen, I asked you specifically about basing regarding that model.

Karmoon

Hm, I think I might know where you mean. I'll have a look, though I have good daylight bulbs still. Fail? Me, fail? Sir, I am offended!! *slaps with glove. And not the silk kind.* I challenge you to a duel at dawn on the concourse, if you are not in attendance, then I win by default.

Aww, thanks. Though I don't really remember that conversion. But then, you are easy to forget... huh, who are you again?

Kuffy

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

I use only GW paints, but that's not due to me being fancy, just lazy.
    Other than that I use whatever I can find

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Personally, if your entire hobby tool and paint collection is made by only one company, I think you're missing out big time. No one company can do it all and expect to do it all well.

Me, I started out using Reaper paints which I quickly replaced with GW. Now, I'm phasing out my "regular" GW paints in favor of VGC range paints. I suspect at some point I'll venture into the model colors, too, though I know of few stores that sell them. I still will, however, buy GW's Foundation paints and washes. I'll also buy GW's metallics, as I've heard Vallejo's aren't very good. Still, I'm looking for a better alternative metallic range, if anyone knows of any.

For tools, I use an X-acto knife, large files by GW, small needle files by Gale Force Nine, and brushes by a number of manufacturers (soon to be replaced by high-end Winsor & Newtons, largely due to recommendations I've heard in these forums).

I use good 'ol fashioned Elmer's PVA glue, GW flock (for now), Evergreen plasticard/rod/tube, and Krazy Glue. I use the name-brand Green Stuff for now, but once I run out of that (takes longer than I thought it would) I'll be getting the generic stuff. I shape the green stuff using a generic clay tool kit I picked up at Michael's once.

I also strip models with Simple Green. I think that's about it.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast