Is priming absolutely nessecary? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Is priming absolutely nessecary?

I was just wondering why everyone thinks Priming your models is an absolute Must. Does it depend on what type of paints you use?

I have a few friends who have never used Primer and they're models are still fine with whatever paint they used.

So far, I've been spray-painting about 20x boyz with some Hobby Spray paint, including Krylon and Testors.

I then painted them with a mix of Vallejo paints and Testors. Fortunately the detail retention is still pretty good and the paint seems to stick just fine...although you can scrape off the brown Vallejo Paint with your fingernails.

Additionally, I painted Testors straight on a Deffkopta and the paint has stayed on just fine for months.

So when and why do you ABSOLUTELY need to use Primer? I was thinking of tryin' to do some Boys the "right" way with Primer and all that. However, I really like the conveinence and time saving effort of spray-painting masses of Ork Boyz.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    470 (x8)

I generally prime anything I paint.

When I miss bits, I go over them with Chaos Black paint from the pot. It may just be GW paints, but it slides right off plastic and takes ages to get a good coverage.

So it may well depend on the paints. I've only really used GW paints, and haven't really ever tried anything above touch-ups without using the spray-on primer first. It just doesn't seem to work any other way.
    Rabbit; Our Tau community has the talent of figuring out how to turn a feather into a timebomb. Macgyver would be jealous.
    8people; Honey, why is my fluffwars story your shopping list?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    281 (x6)

Priming helps alot more in the long run, as with getting a good coating on immediately. If you thin your paints a little you may find you struggle to keep the paint on the model without primer.
    On metals it is a 100% must.
    On plastics, I definately recommend it. I painted a dreadnought last year without primer for some reason (I forget why), and alteady I can see the paint is chipping off it (And its not like its a hugely used model).
    This can be overcome a liuttle by sealing the model afterwards, but even then, its nothing on a good primer.

So yes, I would say primer is definately a must.
    Rork: In the dark future of the 41st millennium there is only friendship.
    Fenrir: and magic.
    Kaiser-: My Little Chaos Marine, Friendship is Heresy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x0)

its not absolutely necessary, but absolutely advised, it saves allot of hassle and time as undercoating really doesn't take that long

nice to see another telford-er (chavford) around riptor
    Last edited by Stella Cadente; January 23rd, 2009 at 01:03.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x1)

I know a guy in the local gaming club that doesn't prime his Imperial Fists. He just uses the yellow foundation thing from GW. So its possible but as the others here said not recomended.

+ Reply to Thread