Librarium Online Forums banner

Should I build them up into a large 40k army using the Ork codex?

• Yes - This is a great and original army theme.

Votes: 54 94.7%
  • No - Stick To Gorkamorka.

Votes: 3 5.3%

Feral Human Conversions: Would They Work As A Full 40k Army?

9K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  Proiteus 
#1 ·
My two current armies I’ve created have been very successful and full of character…

The Grot Rebellion & The Darkmakers & Their Undead legions!

Now I’m looking to create a themed army based round close combat and the best one for that is Orks and I’ve always been a fan of barbaric humans in Sci-fi films such as Mad Max and Waterworld. I’ve been thinking of doing an army based on them for some time now.

I’ve looked at different armies to portray these characteristics with such as Chaos Berserkers and Orks, Guard are out the question as I want to break away from shooty based armies and combat is big no for guard!

In the end I decided to go with Orks as they seem best suited for a barbaric civilization from a toxic industrial death world. I’ve decided to call them ‘The Kroggs’ as it sounds very suited to their background.

Luckily a Gorkamorka campaign is being held at my local club and I choose to play with a Digga mob because it would give me an excellent chance to convert a large group of feral humans.
Which would allow me to see how a mob of them looked and decide wheather or not to continue with my plan for feral human themed ork army.

What do you think? Should I build them up into a large 40k army using the Ork codex?

See less See more
#5 ·
That exactly what I had in mind :D

I like the idea of Feral Humen... But it will be a bits costy but it will be worthwhile...
No not really those custom heads are £3/$6 for 20 add the chaos maruaders and ork weapons from black reach and it isn't that expensive.

Totally! But if you do they should look like the reavers from firefly, and if you haven't seen firefly, GO OUT AND RENT IT NOW!!!
Yeah I did thing of painting red stripes on the vehiciles in the same fashion as the reavers.

#6 ·
I think this is a cool idea. I have seen films like Madmax and Waterworld and the wild humans are very distinctive. There is loads of scope for personalisation with this lot which will make them fun. We see so little of the common human populace in 40K which will make this lot interesting. I for one would greatly enjoy playing against an army like this as it would give me a chance to have my Tyranids try to eat civilians or people who aren't specifically a part of the Imperium's or it's enemies.

#7 ·
Are they all gonna be leather bitches? 'cause that guy with the hockey mask in The Road Warrior kinda freaked me out. It's like S&M night at a local fancy fella bar. Yikes. "Really? A cod-piece with studs all over it? Riiiiiiight."

#9 ·
It’s a great idea and the models you've done so far tell me you would make one hell of an awesome army.

I've always liked the Mad Max look and that’s why I designed what I did for a short film I made. I went a slightly different direction though. Here's a pic of my costume, might give you some ideas:

I'm planning on sculpting and casting a series of figures like my costume to make a guard army. Slightly different theme and look to what you are doing but the same flavour.

I'm also working on a dark Mechanicus army that will have lots of slaves/fodder/dark skitarii that will be similar to your figures. I'm going to use the marauders, flagellants and guard parts. Ork weapons will also feature (such as the big power axes).

SGluciousa is right, firefly rocks, and the reavers would make the basis of another awesome themed army. Maybe that’s another project though. They are slightly more chaos than feral.

If your guys ride in trucks, big rig type things would look mint, with lots of chains and rusty metal spikes. I see your stuff as a more human, realistic take on the Ork idea of scavenging equipment and building rough vehicles.

I am excited to see where you will take this and hopefully I can help along the way.

#10 · (Edited)
I'd have to agree with some of the above. The idea of the army is great, you could have lot of fun and make yourself some models that are both original and recognizable for what you are going o proxy them as. Obviously very carefully about the look of the army.

Are you going for a human society in early stages of development type look (bronze and iron, rough material clothing, beads etc flagellants would be good like CBrate said) or a sort of regressed society, lots of junk, sheet iron etc, in a mad max/ inquisitor earl type way?

I'd have to agree with Sealancer's warning though, the interesting selection of parts GW have produced may lead you down another route. I've seen pictures of humans in primitive societies, I've seen photos from parts of the world here people have to live in corrugated sheet metal shanty towns. Those styles would fit a ferocious warrior society who live to hunt and make war (fits the ork theme). I've also seen the odd pictures of men in leather trousers with studded black leather belts oiled muscles and face masks.... they were a very different type of people and I try very hard not to think of what they do in their spare time...

Your digga mob look great (the one with the cloak looks cool, rep). I've seen some other feral human armies that ended up looking chaotic or worse, kinky

#12 ·
Are you going for a human society in early stages of development type look (bronze and iron, rough material clothing, beads etc flagellants would be good like CBrate said) or a sort of regressed society, lots of junk, sheet iron etc, in a mad max/ inquisitor earl type way?
Oh defeintly Mad Max :D

#16 ·
well i like the truck, looks sweet and your infantry look great. they got the whole madmax thing going on.

i think marauder cavalry from the warhammer line will help you too. they got heavy armor so better save and they would have the fleet of hoof rule. so that would be a good fast choice for you and they look cool too. hope this helps with more ideas and good luck to making this army. i can't wait to see more when you get them done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.