Sorta first time painter. rate and feedback please :) (templar) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorta first time painter. rate and feedback please :) (templar)

Hi guys,

Just wanted to know what you think of my paint job for my templars. This is sorta my first time ever painting W40K figures (the first time was way back in the day when I was in the 10th grade, didn't really know what I was doing), I picked up painting W40K just recently after a very long hiatus (I'm now in my 2nd year in college) so it looks pretty basic. Feel free to tell me what I need to work on. Constructive criticism please, I know I'm pretty nooby lol.

Oh btw, on a side note, I'm having trouble painting templar robes, can someone give me some tips or pointers on how thats done?

Thanks guys =)

Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    467 (x8)

Hi, and welcome to LO.

Well, for a 'sorta' first time, it looks like you've got your basics down pat.

Black and white are very hard to do especially for a beginner, but yours look good.

First of all, the highlights are 'extreme', as you progress, you'll prolly want to reduce that and blend more But maybe not with Black. I think it looks good as it is, maybe try and get thinner highlighting.

As for the robes, again, they look good. A couple more intermediary layers I think is all you need.

Don't forget to keep you paints thin and keep on trucking.

Thanks for sharing.

PS. do you have a macro mode on your camera? It'll let you get up close and keep it in focus. Also you can crop the photos so that you can draw the eye to the model. Check out Minus-T's guide to photos.

PPS. Check out MrDee's project thread on BTs, some great inspiration there.
    Last edited by Jon Quixote; January 31st, 2009 at 12:15.
    Cervantes: In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd.

Chilli Fueled Heretic danjones87's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1329 (x8)

I will echo Jon Quixote's comment.

They are really well painted for a beginner. The basing would work better if it was sanded and painted rather than flocked. most members use the flock as an additional piece.

I paint my robes by starting with a middle brown and work my way to bleached bone by 'layering' the paint. Im not sure if you are aware of this method. Basically you mix you paints and each time you apply a lighter layer of paint to the area, you apply it to a smaller amount of higher detail. So at the finish, you should have dark paint in the folds and lighter colours on the edges creases of the cloak.

Good luck!

Dan

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1148 (x8)

Welcome to LO mate, your pretty much just like me as I started with Black Templars just over 1 1/2 years ago mate, and now I am pretty much hooked on them, to the point even if I get the thought of painting other armies I feel dirty.

Just had a look at your pictures, sort of hard to tell a great deal about them as the piccies aint the best, but I will say the black power armour is good for a beginner, although maybe chill a little on the codex grey and fortress grey highlights, try to use them to denote light only line every part of the armour with a 50/50 mix of codex grey and chaos black (personally I have 2 pots of this made up ready) rest of it cant really see that well mate so can't comment, but never be afraid to try new things and push yourself.

With the robes, I used to do a base coat of codex grey - highligh 50/50 codex grey/fortress grey - highlight fortress grey - highligh 50/50 fortress grey/skull white - highligh white, but since I have tried out the new washes I have changed it and to be honest they come out some much nicer by doing them Basecoat astronomican grey - wash of watered down badab black - and then once dry progressively smaller layers of skull white (making sure that the paint is watered down, and quite frankly the blend you get doing it that way is pretty much seemless, takes a lot long though)

If it helps I have an ongoing project log of my templars you can have a look at see if that gives you any ideas the link is in my signature, and feel free to ask me any questions about the painting of them if you want to know either in the thread or by private message.

Always happy to help a fellow Templar player

Damien
    If you try and fail......TRY HARDER
    CMoN Gallery
    Dee's Paint Filled Hellhole

+ Reply to Thread