Help me with my painting skills - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help me with my painting skills

Hey guys [Happy valentines for the 15th too ]

Basically im having some probs with my High Elves with painting them, im having great luck with them in battle having won my first 4 games with them in a ROW!

But basically heres my 5 problems.

1. High Elf Spearmen: Well for there metal armour I painted it a basecoat or Chainmail then gave it a wash of Badab Black. Now I've painted the whole armour again with Mithril Silver on all of them the paints piling up and is thick despite watering it down. it looks uncatchy and dull being just Mithril Silver should I give it a Badab Black was in the recesses then touch up or leave it as it is?

2. High Elf Spearmen: For there creases in their white robes Im going to paint it fortress grey in the creases but I've gone some badab black in there will I have to paint white over it again or can I get away with some Fortress Grey over the Badab?

3. Golden Demon 09: Im entering the Youngbloods under 14's this year and will be entering my High Elf Prince on noble Games Workshop Online Store - High Elf Prince and Noble, basically I've painted my Spearmen the white, blue and gold whats a good way to spice it up and make it stand out and no Im not doing any conversion work and already have it assembled apart from his banner on his spear and his cape [which you cant see in pick] he also hasnt been based so I was thinking of something there, but Im serious about this in the Golden Demon this year.

4. Also for my general High Elf models Im not too impressed about some of the things especially how thick the white is on there skirts and even though im only 12 [13 in Sep] Im bashing myself up over these small things when other people at my Games Club [usually 1 or 2 years older than me] but I consider them to be the same skill level and time in the hobby [for me one year later this Feb] but yes how can I try to actually be happy with what I've painted and not find SOMETHING bad in it?

5. My dads mobile in 4 megapixel he says I could use it to shove some pics of my elves up here of which I would love but when we take a pic they turn out pretty awful and blury, is there a guide on librarium I've been looking around, or is 5 megapixel enough?

PS. Im going to GW for 4 hours this weekend so if any of the problems could be related to that in any way just inform me of it too.

Help my dragon grow! pfft dont bother anymore he died since he didnt get enough clicks >:(

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

is a hardcore rebel dutchie the great's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x3)

Hey Dark sun,

as reluctant as I am to help you with your problems considering Im up against you in U14s this year, id never abandon you......youre to cool

Dont bash yourself up to much with the white, it is without doubt one of the hardest colours to paint with, but If there is any advice it is to definently start with a white undercoat and shade with juices for the best effect, although thet will take ages, then again for a quicker effect you could try what I do for a quick and efective blend- What you have to do is just water down fort grey about50/50 and aply that to a section of the shaded area, then get a clean-split brush and just start bybrushing the edge of the wet are then start working your streaks up (or down, it depends on where the shading is! ) then as you work up there will less and less paint on your brush and it will look blended, then do another section of shading (it is important to do it in sections otherwise the half the paint will dry before you get to touch it) once that is done use codex grey and then maybe a darker shade if you feel it necesary.

for the metal, give your metal a wash of blue and maybe purple, followed by watered down badab black, by then the mithril silver will look similar to boltgun metal but with blue and purple in it, so next is to highlight on the edges that will hit the light chainmail, then a sharp highlight of mith silver.

And REMEMBER, for clean looking armour that suits armies like highelves, try to soak up the blotches and add a really reallt really really small amount of dishwashing deturgent to make it smoother.

GD-try simple NMM if you can in YB the judges love it! (okay your probably thinking,"then why didnt you enter a model with that on it fool" ) well I was going to but I forgot to bring it.......yes im a forgetfull idiot, i know.

Also if you want to stripp your minis I would say to use "simple green" its a paint striping product that is non acidic so it wont even schmelt your Toughness 3 elves!

well yeah,

-DTG
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ungbloods.html

Come and join the YoungBloods social group!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh thanks dutchie, especially for the armour help although I dont think I can do all of it since my silver is already pretty thick anyway I'lle try?

Whats NMM by the way its 90pm here so my brains not fully functionalling.

PS. Any ideas for the bases for my prince on noble?

PPS. How do I get smooth armour like this? AUSTRALIA 2008 - Warhammer Single Miniature - Demon Winner, the unofficial Golden Demon website

Help my dragon grow! pfft dont bother anymore he died since he didnt get enough clicks >:(

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

Let's see what I can do to help...
    I guess I should say that Valentine's day is traditionally on the 14th... Maybe that is important?
    ^_-

Dutchie's points about the metal seem pretty spot on, so give it a try.
    Personally, for high elves, I'd start off very bright (Mithril), then wash it down a few times (Asurman Blue, Leviathan Purple, maybe Gryphonne Sepia), until I was happy with the tones in the shading, then mix a little of each wash into Mithril, and use that as a 'block' highlight, mixing in more Mithril to progress, before using pure Mithril as an edge highlight.
    It's a pain in the ass on all those little scales, but would look quite exciting, I think.

Again, the comments on the white are pretty good, though I find white fairly simple to work up to.
    Basecoat in Astronomicon grey, then do 3-4 layers, mixing in pure white to the mix. Blending each layer will really help the smoothness of the finish, here. Finally, do a very sparing highlight of pure white (significantly less than you would 'think'... Basically, as white is the top of the 'bright' end of the light spectrum, it is defined by shadow. This means that the final white highlight should only be where there is no shadow at all... if you see what I mean?).

As far as tips for GD... I would suggest getting in as much 'fluff' as you can. Make the model tell a story. And make the story definitely be from the warhammer world.
    NMM (non metallic metals), and fancy freehand are all good, but unless they fit the model, it isn't going to win anything for you.
    Basing is also really important, as it gives us so much extra information about the model. Where is he? What is he doing there, and why?
    So, decide on your story, then start work on the model...

Good luck!

-t.

PS. Oh, here's a tutorial I did a few years ago, for photography. Hopefully you'll find it helpful!
    *LINK*
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

122 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Sun View Post
    oh you silly person, that armour is NMM (non metalic metal as -T said) its basicly metalics painted with normal colours, heres a citidel sum up,

-silver:codex grey+chaos black-codexgrey-fort grey-skull white

-Gold:bestialbrown or chaos black-snakebite leather-bubonic brown (or S/N leather+skull white)-skull white.

so its pretty strait forward colour wise but painting it is a different story, you have to change to a completely different style than true metalics (metal done with metalic paint) and most painters find it hard to get that style right.

GD base:yeah listen to -T he is smart

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not too sure maybe I could do some Non mettalic Metal's on hes chainmail dangling down from his horse.

Pretty much Im not sure, I'm even considering skipping GD this year I dont think im up to it :'(.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

122 (x3)

by the way its 90pm here so my brains not fully functionalling.

yeah I know tassie and NSW go by the same time.

I'm not too sure maybe I could do some Non mettalic Metal's on hes chainmail dangling down from his horse.

usually if your doing NMM its on all the armour and not just a section.

look at the GD U14s results for year 2006 in the LOTR cat a guy came 3rd, I personally didnt think his mini was that great the face was boring the base was a clump of something wierd, but he did NMM, not very well mind you but he gave it a go and that got him 3rd, so your always in with a chance, btw the model was gil-galad.

-DTG

LO's resident Yowie Dead Dude Walking's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    272 (x4)

Damnit Duchie! You are in 14s again... now I'm worried!

Go to GD anyway Dark Sun

The November 2007 WD has a whole lot of Stuff on High Elves and if you dont have it you should definately look for it! The 'Evy Metal team basecoat the white cloth with fortress grey and paint the recessed areas with codex grey.

For the metal they basecoat with Chainmail, wash with Reagal Blue/Chaos Black and dry brush with chainmail. Gemstones are tricky to do but add a great effect. Look for a tut on the web.

Wait... 40k and fantasy have different divisions! Yay I'm not against Duchie!
    <----- Dead Dude's WIP Thread, in all it's pant wetting glory! :D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

122 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by dead.dude.walking View Post
    Damnit Duchie! You are in 14s again... now I'm worried!

Wait... 40k and fantasy have different divisions! Yay I'm not against Duchie!
    ha, tremble in fear as the great bruiser approaches

Heheheheh, im entering all the YB catagories and most of my entries are sculpts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would a high elf hero on lion conversion good or has it been done?

PS. I got some Swordmasters today, painted them to a above tabletop standard not going to enter it in GD, but I might enter my banner bearer with some tricky freehand on him.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast