Stormboyz! Deff from da sky! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Ein
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    472 (x6)

Stormboyz! Deff from da sky!

Stormboyz are 3 things: Shock troops, orderly, and disciplined.
    I scratched my head a bit about what I wanted to do with these models and came up with a few rough ideas:

- They should be flying, or at least some of them. The 'just touching down' look is fine, but I wish they hadn't cast the base terrain into all of their feet. That aside, their body poses are still pretty dynamic, and they can easily be made to look like they're 'suspended' in the air.

- Gas mask helmets. Once hortwerth made his Death-Korps-ish helmets available for sale (here from The Warstore for those in the US, and here for those in Europe). Gives the stormboyz a somewhat intimidating, uniform appearance.

- Similar weapons. Here, I think I've decided to give the whole mob of 20 chain-bladed weapons, meaning chainswords, chain-axes, that sort of thing. A buzzsaw or two may make an appearance if I end up cannibalizing one of the new nob choppas into something smaller. I thought that might help with the 'shock' part of shock troops, since a mob of orks blasting towards you with revving weaponry is probably enough to force a morale check on it's own.

So I started off with this guy:

The stormboy was hacked free from his molded-on plastic base detail. The choppa arm is the one swinging the chain from the warbike set, with the chain hacked off. A 2nd edition ork choppa was added in it's place. The slugga arm's from AoBR, and just reposed a bit with some greenstuff and pinning. The head's straight from Micro Art Studio.

I have some 14-gauge galvanized utility wire that I used to suspend him in the air above the base. I decided on this stuff instead of the normal flying base because although I have about 40 of Games Workshop's clear flying bases, there is not a single one that doesn't have ridiculous air bubbles in the stems. I've also read stories about how easily same stems can snap, and being a klutz, I figure galvanized wire will be better to work with.

A washer was added underneath the base to help with balance issues, even though the miniature could still stand without it:

I'm going to get some 2-part plumbing epoxy later and just cover the whole base over so the stem will hold a bit firmer into the base.

I figure the stem can be hidden at least to a tiny degree by the addition of either flames or smoke. Sculpting flames would be fine, but I'm sort've giving smoke more thought right now because a bit of steel wool would probably be easy to add, and it's certainly much easier to paint than fire.

Anyway, I made two more stormboyz after this guy as a start on my mob of 20, so here they are:

Yeah, I see the mold lines, don't worry.

I'm going to try and limit the number of identical weapons I have in the full group of 20 to maybe 5 max, so I don't end up with too much redundancy in the chainswords. I really like the 2nd ed chainsword on my first stormboy, but a lot of input I'm getting about these suggests they might be too weedy in comparison to the current-edition chunky chainblades ork boyz have. I'm not sure if I want to change the weapon or not, honestly.

Anyway, that's a start.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As always, you never cease to produce, simple, quality work.

*dual thumbs up*

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    110 (x4)

Great stuff. I love the poses you have given them! And the heads look fantastic! Might have to look into them...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x3)

The models are looking very good, and with you plans to make 20 would be very intimidating. How would you think they would look if you alternated between smoke and flames?
    World Eater and Blood Angels striped 8/28/10

Aliens ate my soul. Chubby_Jedi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    358 (x6)

Outstanding, the heads are just great.
    Well done!

- Boomer.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    I AM BOOMER!

Ein
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    472 (x6)

Banged out two more stormboyz for the mob.

I will be tweaking the existing ones a bit, probably bulking up the old 2nd ed chainsword when I get around to it. I'm probably going for wool-based smoke at this point, since sculpting smoke is a pain I don't want to go through. Flames also seem appropriate, but the idea of them belching out smoke is more fun. More to come.
    Last edited by Ein; February 18th, 2009 at 04:29.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x3)

O FANTASTIC!!!!! AMAZING! and i love the motorized chain blade! looks great
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...d.php?t=104497
    PM me about Aurora Prime Vassal fights! Willing and ready!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x4)

Those underslung weapons look pretty cool.

The only thing I take issue with is the masks. They kinda look bovine to me. Maybe filter canisters where the vents are?
    Maybe I'm just paranoid and it'll look much better painted.

Otherwise, top job as always.
    And over there we have the labyrinth guards.
    One always lies, one always tells the truth, and one stabs people who ask tricky questions.
    http://xkcd.com/246

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

525 (x8)

I like 'em. I think the masks fit the Orks very well.
    And I like old chainsword! Think of it as a chain sabre instead (dis un' has sum finesse fer ya! Chop!)!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wonderful modelling there.

Maybe you could try a rocket-style exhaust, such as this:
    Boy do I love me some Gothic Architecture.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. June 24th, 2009, 00:13