Intimidated by my first dread - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Intimidated by my first dread

Hi guys, I was wondering if I can get some tips on painting my dreads (I have one, and getting another soon). I'm feeling pretty intimidated at the prospect of painting it, since I want to do a good job, since the two of them will likely be the focal points of my army (salamanders), and would appreciate any and all tips on how to do this well.

Also, what is a good way to make it look old? I was thinking of painting it a slightly lighter shade than the rest of my army. I guess I want it to look aged, but in good repair.

Thanks,
    Argentis

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dont worry about it. your first dread can be a bit intimidating but its not any more difficult than a unit of marines or anything else. infact i find dreads to be among the easiest things to paint. just do one thing at a time and it will all come together.

if you want to make it old you can take a file and make notches in the armor and scratches. you're playing salamanders? so you could use some brown wash to add some age too it. dont worry too much about messing up on it. dreadnaughts are big and hard to screw up with just paint.
    Music must give birth to orgasm and revolution
    Latest LO Blog Post
    <+Tarnag> Who could help but love a name like Ultramoose, I think of a Moose with a rocket strapped to it breathing fire and wailing on a guitar

Aliens ate my soul. Chubby_Jedi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    358 (x6)

Here's what you do...

Give your dread a black undercoat.

Then a basecoat of Knarloc Green.

Then give them a medium/heavy drybrush of Goblin Green, using Scorpion Green to make highlights.

I typically use silver metallics with a black wash
    for weapons to give them a good contrast.

Hope thsi helps. Remeber thin your paints and take your time.

Boomer.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    I AM BOOMER!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the tips guys. In my rather fuzzy recollections of painting (haven't picked up a brush in 5ish years), I think drybrushing might help me achieve a worn look that I'm going for. Am I on the right track here? Or just go with normal highlights and shading?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

if you're intimidated by painting something, consider getting a painting lesson at your local GW for it. (Though if you're a good painter, i can understand why you wouldn't)

One of the first models i painted was my nightbringer. I was intimidated by the model, so i took it to GW, got a redshirt to help me paint it and tell me what to do, and it turned out brilliant.
    Avatar's Arena #3 let the games begin!
    The Outsider And Kae'Tyr-necron fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the idea Khaine, I think I might try and do that.

+ Reply to Thread