Welcome to Librarium Online!
So i finally finished my latest appocalypse addition.. An'ggarath the Unbound.. just in time for an 8000 point game that we have planned..
I borrowed a DSLR to take these and for some reason they have come out a little on the red side.. anyway enjoy and comment away
Abaddon for size comparizon
So the Brass Scorpion is pre-ordered, I am in the process of planning a Silver tower of Tzeentch and for some insane reason I am having delusions of Grandeur about scratch buiding a Khorne Lord of Battle..
Someone Stop me please!!!!
Overall.. it took around a month to paint.. I bought it over the xmas vacation, but didn't get it until mid-January..
The fiddly thing was the sequence of painting, skin 1st and then be very very careful when doing the armour so you don't mess the skin up..
I'm taking a break for a few weeks from big stuff.. until the Brass Scorpion shows up.
Rawr! Very cool!
A few things that would make it even more awesome:
1. The eyes look quite bright and flat now. I would keep them green but dry a darker shade with a slight highlight of a lighter green to simulate a daemonic iris or something.
2. The teeth could use another highlight with a bone-colour. I'm thinking bleached bone then a final, tiny one with white at the top of the teeth.
3. The horns on his head. They are... black. Black is cool (always is), but they need some highlights I think! Highlighting black is a pain but if you start out by mixing a tiny bit of grey and progressively add more until you are highlighting with pure codex grey then it should be cool. Just remember to be careful.
4. I'm unsure about the red axe. At the moment I think it ties in a bit too much with the rest of the miniature. I would be temped to do it in a brass-colour similar to the armour he's wearing.
Keep them coming. Brass Scorpion you say..? O.o
The teeth, i was sort of going for a dirty finish on those, i actually wanted to model foaming at the mouth, but that looked far too cartoony.. so I've left that for the moment
The other to things I think are down to the way this model photographed, as the horns do have the highlight mentioned, Adamantium grey that fades slightly to fortress grey at the tips.. however I did add a thin bebab black wash over the top..
The Red Axe was a real dilemma for me.. I was really considering a brass/gold one.. but something didn't quite feel right with that.. so I went for a metalics layered approach.. I started out with boltgun metal, devlan mud and then layered red gore and blood red mixed with a little chainmail. it actually gives the axe a deep metalic red finish which is then accentuated by the bone.. For some reason the camera that I used just didn't capture that.. I'm using a Cannon 40D DSLR and as i have found out, its notorious for over emphasizing red colours.. I should've stuck with my point and shoot
Dirty finish is all cool, but they do need some additional highlighting I think... I get the feeling that a tiny bit of bleached bone would make all the difference.
As for the axe and horns... Well, alright. It doesn't show up at all in the pics but I am intrigued by your description of the axe. Would love to see a better pic of it! And the horns, if they are highlighted - great!
Oh and I forgot to mention that the base looks sweet!
That is well done. I like how you have spaced out the colours and done the shading and drybrushing. The details on the base are good too, Khorne types need bones at their feet. The only thing I would suggest you do is apply a little more bone or white mixed with bone to the teeth. It will help them stand out. Also I think the eyes could do with a little shading so they will be separated from the daemon's skin.
Not to be to much of a necromancer, but how did you paint the membrane on the wings? Looking at doing something similiar, but unsure about how to achieve it
And he looks cool overall
sorry for the late reply.. been away a while
The winge were sprayed black and then base coated with Malachite Red Foundation paint for the ribs.. Then I drybrushed very lightly the membrane areas with Malachite Red, covered that with Baal Red Wash, then more drybrushing with Adamantium Grey, used a light wash of Greytone sepia and then very lightly picked out the detail with fortress grey
Overall it looks a lot better in the real, so to speak.. none of my cameras take images that look any go to me..
hope that helps
Current Army Status - Chaos - 15000 points, Orks (BadMoonz) - 3000 Points - Space Wolves - 4000 Points, Necrons - 2000 Points.
Cheers for that