Making Scenery - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Making Scenery

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well i have decided 2 start making some scenery for me and my friends and gw store 2 use.. The thing is i dont know where 2 start or what 2 get ;p anyone got tips,tricks,suggestions,or websites that might help me in this struggle for making scenery -_-

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take a travel through the gallery on this page, there's bound to be some ideas out there...
    Other than that there should be plenty of ideas in the Scenery topic.

If you want an idea, here's one....... craters, forests and ramshack ruined buildings.
    check out my blog: DRAGONSLAYERO

HEY!
    I WAS IN THE IMPERIAL (Norwegian) GUARD!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tofudebeast and I have embarked on a massive terrain building jaunt over the last few days, Heres what we did.

Rock spires: ( to match ones we already have )

These were done on a thick base of Styrofoam (from here on out referered to as SF ) with boulders then cut out of SF offcuts, the boulders are easy to make, just take pieces of SF between 3" and 1" and cut them into the desired shape. Round them out if you can by scoring them at various angles with a knife ( always cut away from your body ) once you have enough boulders of various sizes build them up using the larger ones at the bottom and smaller ones at the top, PVA glue is all you need to use it gives a good bond but takes awhile to dry ( not if you have a heat lamp ). Once dry hit them with a good coat of textured paint ( for this we used acrylic house paint mixed in witha good helping of beach sand ) I cannot stress enough if you are going to make textured paint use sand and not dirt, because dirt cracks up like a lake bed during a drought. This textured paint serves two purposes, 1 it seals everything up giving it an even firmer bond. 2 it protects the SF from the propellent in the spray paint ( spray paint would have been unnessessary if I had black house paint, but alas )

this is the part I'm up to now......

I'll hit them all with a coat of Matt black spray paint and let it dry, then I'll drybrush the spires with varying shades of grey ( using a size 8 paintbrush )
    Once that is done, I'll give the base a quick coat of green paint before covering the base in flock and a little bit of static grass for the rocks themselves.
    after all that a healthy spray of Matt varnish and they'll be ready to play with.

Important tip: use textured paint on whatever surfaces aren'tgoing to be covered in flock otherwise you'll be able to tell it's SF.

Barracades: based on a thick piece of SF I used thinner pieces to represent the walls, first make sure the wall is a little higher then a standard minis waist ( for reasons explained later ) get an idea where you want everything to go then star gluing, once evry thing is dry add a little damage to the walls by pulling little pieces out of or off them, then piling up those pieces where the damage is to represent rubble. Any spare bit you have lying around will add to the effect ( mini pieces like crates or bolters etc. ) make sure you leave tracks where minis can move unhindered. Once this is done paint up in aforementioned technique.
    Oh yeah almost forgot,add a layer of corrugated cardboard near the walls to be blasted floors these can be drybrushed metallic after the black spray, this will raise the floor abit so the wall now comes up to the minis base.

Modular Terrain:
    Tofudebeast an I started working on a bunch of this to, but it would be pointless trying to explain it without pics, anyway they are all going to be ruined buildings that will form a city and can be arranged however we see fit, plus they look really good if I do say so myself. I'll post pics when we're done.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok that I have to say was a very very deep explanation.
    Very good one too.
    Have you actually made this scenery, or is it just something you came up with?
    check out my blog: DRAGONSLAYERO

HEY!
    I WAS IN THE IMPERIAL (Norwegian) GUARD!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's all been made, I'm going over to Tofudebeasts house tonight to paint it all, so hopefully I should get it drybrushed, inked, flocked and varnished by the weekend. I still have my parents camera ( macro ) so when I get the films all developed I'll post the pics and see what everyone thinks,
    btw I liked your dragons teeth I might have to borrow that idea for the next modular piece.

Closed Thread