Roman Imperial guard? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roman Imperial guard?

Well, too much Eisenhorn, and i get into another patch of wondering about the imperium's base... its very roman no?

The emperor...
    the high lords of terra... (the senate)
    almost feudal rule of planets in a very similar style
    grand parades...
    the guard.... need i say more?

Well one day my boredom took over, and this came out... what do you think?

I'm awefully tempted to do a squad of them now... going to green stuff a crest onto his helmet as hes my centurion... bur perhaps a shield covered rus as a Testudo?
    Rough rider cavilry.... earth shaker onagers..... ooh

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x4)

I approve, lets see a full squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

Stellar idea, but shouldn't the armor and weapons be bronze? I think you should use bronze colored metallics. The silver just doesn't give that same roman feel. It makes it more feudal European.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The armour of the Legionery Cohorts, post 150bc were polished metal, most commonly iron. Ie, silver, not bronze. This roman is based off of a post reform Legionery soldier. Styles of equiptment and material varied, naturally, this was a half hour conversion from one of my spare cadian guardsmen.... its not taken any green stuff, or serious modification beyond making the shield. I fully intend to work on the originality of the piece, and possible future others... But as for the colours, i feel that Bronze would not work. I'm not sure of what you mean by feudal european.... because the romans were european... the feudal periods of the dark ages tended to not involve much plate armour at all. I'm not discounting your suggestion, just offering reasons why i chose what i did...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

No, I know what you mean. I was just trying to say that the colors didn't work for me. The silver next to the red is what's bothering me. It needs something to deliniate between the two.

I certainly wasn't trying to pick it apart from a historical standpoint. I was just saying that when people think Roman they don't normally think of polished steel, which is what it looks like you were going for. I'm sure a lot of people will love it and if you're happy then that's all that really matters.

I actually can't wait to see your Cavalry. Those should be awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do people think of then?

Because all images of roman soldiers of the period are wearing polished metal armour.... which is silver hon.... I'm not sure which romans you are thinking of..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

I agree, when I think of Roman soldiers, I imagine them in polished steel coloured armour, because for the most part that was what they were equipped with.

I do like the Roman theming - I'm doing it with my marines though i haven't gone as far as you have with making the shield. I've just used a dark red as my main colour, a Roman Imperial Eagle as my chapter symbol and organised/named the chapter in a Roman style.

I want to see the rest of the squad!
    Thou shalt remember:
    Warhammer Fantasy armies do NOT have Codices. They have Army Books.

LINK - Guitarists of LO Group

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And i want to see your smurfs! sounds intrigueing.... Admitedly, its a side project to my jews in space guard... (IDF themed)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

238 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Sniperkitty View Post
    And i want to see your smurfs! sounds intrigueing.... Admitedly, its a side project to my jews in space guard... (IDF themed)
    I'll post them up when I've made a bit more progress, perhaps when I've finished working on the ones I'm doing now. It's a fairly small force at the moment!
    Thou shalt remember:
    Warhammer Fantasy armies do NOT have Codices. They have Army Books.

LINK - Guitarists of LO Group

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
    I agree, when I think of Roman soldiers, I imagine them in polished steel coloured armour, because for the most part that was what they were equipped with.
    Am I seriously the only one that doesn't think of polished steel when I think of Romans? I think of leather skirts and bronze metal helmets/swords/chest plates and flat, uncomfortable sandals.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast