argh!!!! (basing difficulty - help?) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

argh!!!! (basing difficulty - help?)

Having a bit of an issue with an aspect of my basing for my tyranids... part of my scheme has been to use lichen from the model railroad type line, which is quite soft and realistic.... unfortunately, it starts to get brittle and break off after a relatively short period (a week or two)... and more unfortunately I discovered this AFTER basing a large portion of my army and playing a number of games - so need a solution to make the lichen more durable preferably without having to rebase everything (or remove all of those glued minis)

Have tried testers dullcote thus far - which for some reason makes the lichen return to being soft... before getting all brittle again and breaking off!

so - any way to make this product sturdier without damaging my painted models, or having to start from scratch again?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the exact problem your having I stopped using it

It my numerous attempt to keep using it I found that giving it a light gloss coat on it prior to glue down sometimes helped, i got mixed results, as if it got it well enough it would seal in the moisture and prevent the stuff from falling apart.

For a more alien looking base might i suggest making some gs ridging/tentacle things then Static grassing them usually my go to now. That and various stone/Styrofoam basing options.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

I think the only way to know for sure is to conduct some tests. Get some spare bases and paint, varnish them in exactly the same way as you would if they had models on them. Then apply this lichen. Create several bases to conduct experiments on. Try to soak on lot with PVA and let it dry, it may go very hard. Another thing to do may be to apply more PVA to make sure it sticks down properly. use your imagination and try to think of the best way to stick it all down. However if it sems to go all brittle after a week or two there may be no way predict if it will cause problems in the future. You might want to look into some other options.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

Instead of PVA you may want to try super glue - but just as the PVA it will most likely make it hard rather than brittle. I think this might be something you will need to experiment with.

Is the lichen hanging off the side of the base? You may just need to be more careful while handling the figures if the lichen isn't hanging over the sides...

Usually super glue will re-enforce anything you coat it in - and as long as you don't apply it too thick you shouldn't have a problem with it obscuring details...

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

+ Reply to Thread