Librarium Online Forums banner

Needing help with scenery construction parts

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Mickem 
#1 ·
Hello all.

I have once again realized a problem with making custom scenery and weapons and items without trying to use GW products (yes, it may seem odd, but i do like making my own futuristic weapons).
Now, as my profile says, I live in Australia. But hey, what can you do? Ok, anyways, I am looking for store names, or store types (it doesn't have to be Australian but that would be great). The items I'm referring to are items like foamcore, plasterboard (not even sure if thats it formal name), polystyrene.
Foamcore or polystyrene i would use as the outer constructs on things i create, so they would be interchangeable.
Plasterboard (if its called that) would be the main structure, in which the foamcore etc is places on.

All and all, if anybody could help with stores that they know sell the items (and if possible if they are cheap, or even if you can post a price; OR store types that would sell them) would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Mickem

#2 ·
Hi, im afraid I cant give you any store names, never having travelled to the antipodese (?)

However...

Foamcore/foamcard should be fairly easy to get hold of in any good stationery or atrs and crafts store.

High density polystyrene (usually pink) is used to insulate buildings, and so you need to look for a DIY store or builders merchants.

#7 ·
Ah, damn. They shouldn't keep it for themselves. That just isn't fair. I searched in some local art stores several weeks back and they didn't even know what foamcore/foamboard (and other variants of the name) were. And they were reasonably well known and profitable stores. Was an annoying venture.

#8 ·
High density foam

My father builds houses for a living. I usually go and pick up some polystyrene when he's done insulating a house. There is usually more scraps than I need to complete a whole battleground! It comes in 2 thickness: 2,5 and 5 cm. Just look around for a house in construction, you'll find some, at some point. It will make you feel like Skaven. At DIY store, it comes in sheets of roughly 4 X 8 feet (120 X 240 cm).

#9 ·
I've asked a few builders and they suggested that UK builders use a pump in liquid foam that turns into a solid foam for insulation now and polystyrene is not used much here anymore, while in the US etc, with their very different styles of building they use the sheet stuff. I have no idea if they are right 'cos I'm not a builder but it seems plausible when US dudes seem to find it in any diy store they look in while people in B&Q look at me like I'm speaking a foreign language ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.