how you paint eldar howling banshees? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    744 (x8)

how you paint eldar howling banshees?

I have being looking at my howling banshee models for some time now, thinking it was about time I got past the white under coat lol? I want the look to be like the traditional base of bleach bone colour however my experience is that alone bleach bone is a pint to paint with as it doesn’t cover well and dry brushing with it unless mixed with other colours is normally a total fail!

So has anyone got some advice on paint banshees it can be; how to do the bleach bone look, or something completely different! Pics would be cool too. Also small note painting for the yorkshire open tordy in about 2 weeks so really need to get started as i have quite a few more models to do lol.

Thanks in advance!

"Should take you a while though because of your sloth like pace"
    Click here and watch Gedderz try and cross the road

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

I've never done Howling Banshess per se, but I've done parchment, Space Wolf Gray power armour and other "off-white" looking stuff, so I imagine the process is similar. First off, thin your bleached bone WAY down, or maybe instead just do some straight white (over the primer), and be prepared to do several very thin coats, whatever it takes to get it right. Light colors like white and bleached bone I find are VERY tough to get down to a smooth, even layer in one or two coats. Have patience and work hard at getting the basecoat done well. For me, that's the hardest part. After that, do a wash of Devlan Mud, which can pretty much go straight from the pot to the model, provided you blot off some of it from your brush to a paper towel first. Especially if you start with a bone undercoat, you want the wash to be controlled, so don't go nuts -- just hit the crevasses and other lower recesses. With a white undercoat, you can afford to slather it on more liberally. Next, highlight with bone or white. Again, the process gets faster and easier once the basecoat is done. That first part is key, albeit the hardest part.

EDIT: If you're that worried about getting it right, hunt around in your collection for a "throwaway" model, something you bought/won/traded for once but never did anything with, prime it up, and use it as a painting dummy to try stuff out. I find that teaches me a lot, and not at the expense of the "real" models. Trying it out on sprue is also a good, albeit limited way to test new techniques.
    Last edited by Canew; February 26th, 2009 at 15:16.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    744 (x8)

Thanks thats good advice i never though about doing it that way around with the white/ washes/ and bleach bone. Also the many thin layers is something i will try thanks!

If anyone else has other methods im still happy to hear them

Tak
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    114 (x2)

I found this a while ago whilst hunting round for some Dark Eldar inspiration;

How to paint Howling banshees

Wet blending and NMM are time-consuming techniques that require a bit of practice to get down to a reasonable speed but the end result's very nice.

Also I'd recommend looking at this. It's not strictly for Banshees but if you ignore the meat and veg of the tutorial; there's a simple but very effective method of painting bone.

Painting Deathwing

In the arms of a small mountain in California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x1)

Im currently painting a commission eldar army with a main colors of bone and orange and i would not suggest Delvan Mud, its to dark for bone.

Use Gryphonne Sepia instead.

here is the farseer, just thinned bleached bone over white primer washed with Gryphonne Sepia and re highlighted with bone and edges go up to white.

good luck on the banshees
    -Bcom

His jetbikes are many. Mayor Quimby's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    338 (x4)

For my Howling Banshees (link) I started from black primer and basecoated the models with a mix of Scorched Brown, Chaos Black and Bleached Bone.

Then I added more Bleached Bone to the mix for the highlights (up to pure Bleached Bone) then painted the last highlights with a mix of Bleached Bone and Skull White, then with pure Skull White.

Another recipe which I started using on my last models is a basecoat of VMC German Camo Black Brown, VMC Dark Grey and VMC Ivory (same as Bleached Bone, but with better coverage)... I highlight adding more VMC Ivory, then VMC Ivory + VMC White up to pure VMC White.

Hope this helps!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently did a first banshee to see how it would turn out.
    1) chaos black spray primer
    2) khemri brown base coat
    3) 70/30 mix of graveyard earth and bleached bone
    4) 50/50 mix of graveyard earth and bleached bone for next highlight
    5) 30/70 mix for next highlight
    6) final highlight of just bleached bone

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

744 (x8)

Thanks for all the advice guys its really helped and my models look great so far! im hoping to finish them in next few days be tuesday latest i imagen will post some pics to show how went and will post how painted as did slightly diffrent from all your posts lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    127 (x3)

Just go

black
    scorched brown
    graveyard earth
    bleached bone
    skull white highlights

for simplicity.
    How dare you speak out against LO! I shall beat you with a giant inflatable duck and then ban you to the lowest level of hell! ~Karmoon
    My recruitment link!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

744 (x8)

Right guys got them finished few days ago but not had chance to post pics fingers crossed will get some up today

+ Reply to Thread

LinkBacks (?)

1. June 25th, 2012, 18:01