Painting before assembly. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Painting before assembly.

I was just wondering about this. I'm just now getting a bit better at painting, and I have odd thoughts come across my brain (that undoubtedly every beginner must have.)

One that came across today was: (kinda two or three)

Painting a model before gluing it together, is this a good idea or bad idea? Maybe it depends on the model?

I kind of assumed this could be easier for me since I don't have the steadiest hand yet and such.

Just wondering some thoughts on this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x3)

There is nothing wrong with painting before gluing. If you are going to be building a model that has hard to reach places then you can leave of a arm or whatever is obscuring view. Do what ever is easier for you.
    World Eater and Blood Angels striped 8/28/10

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried it in the past but it was actually worse painting the model before gluing it for me. I would say go for it and try it on bigger models, like dreadnoughts and such. you would get a better result.
    but for normal size models, it's a no for me, i'll stick to the traditional way.

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

Assemble as much as you can before painting, just leave off parts that will block brush access. Make sure to fully fit everything before you start painting. Most larger kits will require substantial filing, trimming, green stuff, etc to get a good fit. You don't want to be trying to do that around a finished paintjob!

His jetbikes are many. Mayor Quimby's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    338 (x4)

I assemble as much as I can before painting, leaving off parts which get in the way (the only exceptions are parts which need extensive conversion and green stuff work).

Then I undercoat and paint the first layers of highlights/shading, then assemble everything, paint the gaps between areas, then paint the final layers. This way I can easily fix errors which may happen during the assembly (scraped paint, spilled glue, things like that).

When I paint NMM, gems, or light sourcing, the model has to be fully assembled or those effects simply won't work...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x4)

i like to Prime, strip paint off areas i am going to Glue. Prime a second coat, THEN paint. I only do details of interiors before gluing things together if I have to, otherwise it seems easier to do it this way.
    A youth with his first cigar makes himself sick; a youth with his first girl makes other people sick. - Mary Wilson Little

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    127 (x3)

A lot of poeple paint in little sub-assemblies. Especially the pros. generally I leave off the arms or head if it obsures too much of the chest area (O&G and orks, so the head actually can obsure the body ).
    How dare you speak out against LO! I shall beat you with a giant inflatable duck and then ban you to the lowest level of hell! ~Karmoon
    My recruitment link!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

Generally I will eave the gun off so that i can paint the chest and inside of the gun. Otherwise I will fully assemble the model before painting
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the words of wisdom folks.

I'm going to try a little of everyones' advice and see what works best for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    337 (x6)

I've tried doing that a few times, but when it comes to the bits that are not glued to the base I never know where to hold them.

I considered painting on the sprue and just touching up the places where cut them off, but that never works well as the shading and highlighting never quite matches.

Quote Originally Posted by omegoku View Post
    Generally I will eave the gun off so that i can paint the chest and inside of the gun
    I try this, especially for marines when I can spray/ink/drybrush the whole model without hitting the gun, the only bit thats very different in colour, but again, I never know where to hold the bolter while I paint it, and they end up sitting on my paint station next to a load of unarmed marines

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast