Bit of a strange request... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bit of a strange request...

Greetings Librarium Online painters. I come to you today in need of your assistance, for I have tasked myself with what my friends have come to dub as 'the impossible' and promptly label me as 'your crazy dude'.

Basically, I've a pile of Orks sitting around since their re-release many months back, Blackreach and all that jazz. They've been half assembled on my table for quite some time, and I've finally resolved to pick them up and give them a coat of paint to be the envy of all who look upon them.

The inspiration? This image.

I wish to paint my Orks as the grittiest and darkest Ork's to be seen amongst my local gaming community, and that image was what inspired it all. The issue? I am completely lost. Much of my experience in painting relies on following steps and instructions from more experienced painters, or combining aspects of a dozen masterclasses to get an end-result I'm proud to say I've painted. Yet this is something that I know is out of my league, and only with the help of the more experienced painters here will I be able to pull this off.

I'm willing to waste a dozen Orks finding a technique to reproduce this, I'm willing to waste a dozen more to 'perfect' the method. I simply need some help to get started and work out how I can go about painting like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x2)

Is there any particular part of the colour scheme that you are having difficulty with. Also, how much experience would you say you have with painting already, do you know the basics of shading/highlighting washing and drybrushing? As a general guide to painting it I would suggest the following:

Starting from a black basecoat is a must.

Armour: Mix a colour 50/50 or perhaps even 75/25 Chaos Black and Boltgun metal, basecoat the armour in this colour and then wash it all Badab black, add a very light drybrush of Boltgun metal, or if you used a darker basecoat, even use 50/50 Chaos Black/Boltgun metal as the highlight if you went for the darker shade.

Skin: again 50/50 to 75/25 Charadon Granite and Knarloc Green depending on how it comes out, wash it Badab black and then highlight a lighter version of the base colour.

As for the the blood, use either Red Gore, or 50/50 Dark Flesh/Blood Red, though I warn you that neither of these will cover well so you might have to build up through Dark Flesh and perhaps even Scoreched Brown.
    Keep the paint thin for the blood, but thick enough so that it doesn't run.

Hope this helps, let me know how you get on with a test model.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the metal i agree with with the previous poster. but i think the issue here is the skin.

my experience is limited too, but i'll try to give an idea how i would try.

you can get a whole range of colors of grey from certain suppliers. but some of them do give a bit of a chalky result.

my idea for color would be to get a mix of medium seagrey with black mixed under it over black undercoat. that vallejo. and then drybrush again with get some medium seagrey. try a real dry drybrush and don't be hasty.

why the mix? i seam to have noticed that instead of getting to the next shad eof gray that is ready in a pot, black tend to 'dirty' up the color more. it creates an other transition on the color card.

as for the red. i might try a mix with red and black to keep the same hue in it.

Maybe as a finish, try a diluted black inkt to create depth. (ad a tiny amount of surfactance like a bit dishwashing soap in the diluted inkt (very tiny droplet) to reduce surface tention so the inkt creeps in the recesses easier.

My 0.02$.
    MvG, vindicator.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x2)

100% agree with everyone else on this.. Metal paint is defiantly the way to go in my book.. you'd be painting until doomsday if you attempted NMM..

Personally I've been having a lot of success using boltgun metal and then very roughly drybrusing Tin Bitz over this in a random fashion.. Follow this with Devlan Mud and you get a really nice rusty effect.. you could always then go over the edges with more boltgun metal, or even go upto chainmail. If you went with a wash or even multiple washes you'd get the low down and dirty effect that you were going for.

For the skin, your going to have lots of choices however, the thing that i'd be the most focused on was blending / shading the 'tatoo' into the skin so it looked 'lived in'. Again, i'm very happy using the washes so i'd probably do that after detailing everything.

The other thing that I really like is the post on the LO homepage that outlines the way to effectively highlight metal properly.. i'm playing with these effects at the moment.

+ Reply to Thread