Bone on Skeleton - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    93 (x1)

Bone on Skeleton

After sepnding many hours trying to drybrush Skeletons without sucess i decided to paint the bone on for a more satisfying approach. It may take longer but at least i get where i want.

P.S the models has only had a white spray, brown ink and a couple of layers of bleached bone on as i'm trying to get the larger areas of bone right first.

Q's & C's Welcomed

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

Only comment would be that you can probably get a model that looks more or less the same without having to go back with a brush at all by using Citadel Washes, Magic Sauce, or a similar product directly over white spray I'm sure ones that have been re-highlighted with a bit of bleached bone would still look a bit better, but you have to ask yourself how many of these are you going to do for how long?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x4)

I'm going with the Dipping method over white for my Skeletons. Kind of a wet browned out rotting look should be the final results.
    A youth with his first cigar makes himself sick; a youth with his first girl makes other people sick. - Mary Wilson Little

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x1)

Honestly, I think the washes were designed with skeletons in mind. All you have to do to make an awesome group of skeletons is a white spray, then a wash of devlan mud or whatever other particular color (sepia/mud mix maybe?) you're shooting for. Add some details, and you're done.

You can also try dipping, which also works extremely well on skeletons and requires even less effort than washing. THIS link gives you an idea of what effect can be achieved over straight white primer, if you're unfamiliar with dipping.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x2)

I completng agree with the washing method.. Devlan Mud is your friend..

However, i think basecoating in bleached bone, washing with devlan mud and then highlighting / drybrusing with bleached bone gives a deeper shading..

I notice the difference, but then again i'm the one painting them so others might not..
    Current Army Status - Chaos - 15000 points, Orks (BadMoonz) - 3000 Points - Space Wolves - 4000 Points, Necrons - 2000 Points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

93 (x1)

InquisitorAffe: I did a couple of test models with the washes and overall was unpleased by the look of the model, I find that for me the washed models, even with several coats, aren't strong enough what the ink range does for me. I'll also be doing at least 70 of them and want them to look reasonablly good.

Fuzzy Wumpus: I looked at the resuults on the link and even took a look at the guide, however i'm a fairly impatience person and although the result looks good, everything does look a bit brown. Now i know that technically my Skellies are brown but i'm looking for the brown just in the joints and a far smoother sanded bone look at the rest of the points, which i feel wouldn't be achieved with dipping

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x1)

Agreed, you can certainly get a more refined look by going back over the model with a bit of paint. Really, it matters how many skeletons you're planning to have in the army/ready as summoning models. If you're playing an army in which you're going to need a lot of skeletons, I would be worried about time efficiency.

But yes, if you have plenty of time you can definitely improve the models that way. Just make sure not to burn yourself out trying to make each of your 100 skeletons look impeccable!

EDIT: Sorry smart, didn't catch your reply there. Everything looks brown in that link because typically a brown dip is used. There is nothing stopping you, however, from using a black dip. That said, if you're going for a less smoothly shaded look, that's fine too. I just try to save time wherever I can, since I have the attention span of a goldfish with ADHD.
    Last edited by Fuzzy Wumpus; March 4th, 2009 at 21:15.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

93 (x1)

The skellies themselves will all be on the battlefield from the start and i also have a far larger attention span too, plus i dont want a shiney look of my skellies they are meant to be old and crumbling.

Time wise i've have lots even though i work 40 hours a week and do other things besides i'm not too much of a social person (well not until warhammer is talked about) so i probably am lucky i have more time than most to do painting

+ Reply to Thread