Beat-Up Tau Battlesuit - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    208 (x4)

Beat-Up Tau Battlesuit

So, awhile back, I picked up a Battlesuit, just for fun. I don't own a Tau army, though I might pick up a few more pieces for Apoc battles (Mercenaries!) just because I like Battlesuits.
    I've been reading techniques and stuff to improve my skills, and decided today to practice on the battlesuit.

It's not done yet, I've still got some details, touchups, and matte varnish and basing, but, here is a Tau Battlesuit, done up like my IG tanks.

Opinions thus far?

"Speed is life! You go slow, you die!"
    -Sgt. Unther, Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

is a hardcore rebel dutchie the great's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x3)

Wow thats Good, the jump pack stuff is really well done and the whethering is just plain awsome.

I cant wait to see it once its done!

-DTG
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ungbloods.html

Come and join the YoungBloods social group!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

It does look cool I must say, although I think some of the detail is difficult to pick out, as well as the colours. Perhaps take a new photo with a white background?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    397 (x6)

The weathering looks very good. Care to share how you did it?
    General Project Log Things I Paint
    Seeing Red A Khador Log
    Stuck Between Stations My Blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

208 (x4)

White background will be forthcoming upon completion, so, it'll be a bit longer. It seems there's a small issue with the paint drying.

How it was done? I pretty much got how to do this from Imperial Armour Masterclass I, but, I'll type it out here for those who don't have it. If you CAN get a hold of it, the book is an excellent buy with not only beautiful pictures, but good techniques to bring up your realism.

First I airbrushed on the base color, a light sandy cream color. Next, I did some simple tiger-stripes with the smallest airbrush head in a khaki brown. To get the weathering, I had kept the creamy-sand paint, taken a sponge from a blister pack, and dabbed the base color lightly across wear-areas and edges on the khaki sections of the suit to represent chipping to the base coat. After that, I sponged the wear areas and edges with a dark grey, for further chipping. After painting up all the heavy areas of different color (everything but the red bits, pretty much) I hit the entire model with a gloss varnish.

Using brown and black oil paints, with a bit of extra thinner, I made a wash which I then brushed into all the different cracks and crevasses in the model, and along the inside edges. After an hour, the excess was drybrushed away, as it was supposed to have dried sufficiently. (The issue I spoke of up top, however, is due to my thinning agent; instead of the white spirits or mineral spirits I should have used, I'd gotten some stuff called turpenoid. While excellent for cleaning the oil off my brushes and a couple of small applications, this stuff is NOT made to make a wash! Oops.) The browning on the gunbarrel is a mixture of brown ink and leviathan purple wash...I'm waiting for my weathering powders to get here, so I can add some more scorching to the barrel. As for the scorching on the jetpack, I just hit it with black paint and the airbrush

The next stage is going to be to complete the detail work, mainly the missiles, since the lenses are all done, and then hit the entire model with a matte varnish, then the lenses with gloss. After that, will be basing. I'd really like to get some sand-weathering on the feet, too, but, I'm still waiting on the powders to come in.

And thats how I beat up a battlesuit!
    Last edited by Zeewulf; March 9th, 2009 at 06:23.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

208 (x4)

Okay, as promised:

Still need the weathering powders to get here so I can sandy up the feet...but in the meantime, I'm moving on to basing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

That pic wasn't much of an improvement... Too bright to see anything really. Did you use flash when you took it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

208 (x4)

Aye. I used flash. I don't have a lightbox or anything fancy..in fact, I don't even have a way to direct lighting. I'm working with really, really low levels of equipment here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

208 (x4)

Here, this is the best I can do, with what I have at hand.

+ Reply to Thread