Paint Extenders - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Paint Extenders

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x1)

Paint Extenders

So, I picked up a tube of Open Time paint extender today and gave it a shot. I have to say, I'm impressed with the results - it's making the citadel paints I usually work with last far, far longer on my pallet than I'm used to, and helping me (as a more novice painter) get a more correct (read: thinner) paint consistency. It took almost an hour and a half before the first paint I extended dried on the pallet.

Only downside is I'm too used to handling the model - it takes almost half that time for the paint on the model itself to dry. That said, it's gone a long way towards helping me learn how to wet-blend colors together, plus gave me the time to actually do so.

Do you all use this kind of stuff much? Is there a better brand? Or have you all run into negative side effects of using it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I prefer to use a wet palet (parchment paper on a paper towel + water mix). It keeps my paint fresh for long (and costs not much).

BUT, it won't do you any good for wet blending (unless you're already a good (fast) painter). In that case, it probably is the way to go. But do try to do the blending on a botched model, or you will never learn to do it without the paint extender
    "How do you stop a Chaos Knight from charging? No seriously, HELP!" André le Bouffon, jester of the Bretonnian court - last words.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

73 (x1)

Well, since we're on the discussion of wet-blending, I'd like some C&C on the piece I was just practicing on.

This one's a Reaper mini that I'm doing up for a painting contest at the local hobby shop. I started with the base (don't ask why, I just felt like I wanted to) - combination of wet-blending, edge highlighting, and very limited drybrushing for the more finely ground areas near the bottom:

(No, the upper part hasn't been done yet. Hmm...might be too much light in these pics...)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Very cool! I like the stone look. Could you enlighten us as to how you've done it? What colors did you use? What was the base color? I assume that's a cork base you painted there? How is the wet-blending used here? I'm curious, because I've been experimenting with it myself, albeit on just some sprue. I'm not brave enough to do what you've done here. Nice job!
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

73 (x1)

Thanks for the reply.

I was a bit surprised with the results myself; part of me feels like this came out at a better quality than my normal skill level. The base is one of Dark Age's Groundwerks' series: Dark Age store, which are resin bases my local gaming shop happened to have on hand. You've probably seen their lava bases before.

For this base, the basecoat was a black primer spray. After that, I grabbed a bottle of Chaos Black, Adaptus Battlegrey, and Astronomicon Grey. AB and Black were mixed on the pallete with a ratio of about 1:4, water and extender added. Then, I'd paint a fairly thin line along the extended edge of one part of the base, basically, the same as highlighting, except that you're painting to the flat surface rather than the edge. After that, I took a 2nd brush (clean, but slightly wet) and literally pulled that wet paint towards the middle of the section. After that, I just repeated the process over and over, mixing in an additional drop of Adaptus Battlegrey until the mix was about 2:1 in AB's favor. Then, I did it one more time, this time adding just one drop of Astronomicon Grey to the mix to give it a brighter presence towards the edge. Highlights on the edge are straight Astronomicon Grey. (As thinly as possible.) In these pictures, I think the overall effect is most visible on the left side of the base on the lower pic. As always, it's a bit easier to see in person.

Then again, I learn how to paint visually. This video more or less gave me the idea of how to go forward: YouTube - How to paint Space Marines: Blending Blood Angels , and it probably provides a better explination, although he doesn't seem to be using as much water in his paints as I did.

That said, it bloody took forever. I think the base on this model alone clocked over 2 hours. Ah well, price of learning a new technique. I really felt the paint extender went a LONG way to keeping my paints alive long enough for me to learn this. There was a LOT of trial and error on this one, and more than once, I had to darken parts of the model again using a wash to get the color right so I could continue.

Oh, final note - the mini itself is a Grim Reaper kinda thing, and I tried the same technique on the scythe blade. Blending as normal might work with it, but wet-blending seems to be a non-starter with metallic paints alone. (That is to say, Mithril Silver on top of Boltgun Metal, for example.) I get the feeling that if you want the same kind of results for metallics, a NMM technique is probably necessary.
    Last edited by SMann233; March 9th, 2009 at 20:23.

+ Reply to Thread