Space Marine Capt - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Space Marine Capt

I haven't painted a mini in a few years but here is my first shot at a hero from the assault on blackreach box. I took the pics with my camera phone so the blue and red shading is a little better in person.

I am still working on the model. Any ideas on how to paint his little medals/badges on his cape? I have no clue how to make them look like the whiteish/yellowed cloth in the AoBRbooklet so some help would eb much appreciated. Also any basing suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x3)

The model is looking very good. The medals are purity seals with parchment and wax seals. There are many variations to painting the parchment. I cant name the colors because i use Vallejo instead of citadel paints. As for the wax seals it can be any color, i paint them various colors to represent different achievements they have reached in battles. Maybe someone else will make some suggestions for the parchment.
    World Eater and Blood Angels striped 8/28/10

Aliens ate my soul. Chubby_Jedi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    358 (x6)

nice and clean paint work, well done dude!

as for basing, paint the edges with graveyard earth it really does make the model look better that a black rimmed base.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    I AM BOOMER!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x3)

the purity seals are usually red wax with partchment, but Usually when I paint them and they are on a red surface, I like to use green.

Denab stone is a great bace color for purity seals, with a little work they shoudl look good.

I also agree that bacing models makes them look better. Graveyard earth and Kemri brown look good with green flock, Adaptus battle grey looks good for city scape.
    I put the Laughter back into Slaughter.
    Sons of Prometheus <click>
    Children of Murder <clic>

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

First off, nice job. So far, so good.

Yeah, the purity seals are parchment held in place with wax seals. The wax is typically a deep red. Lots of ways to do it, but a common way is to start with a dark red (say, Scab Red or Red Gore) then drybrush/highlight with a brighter red, such as Blood Red.

For the parchment, there are even MORE ways to do it. If you have any of the Citadel washes, I'd say start by painting on Bleached Bone, then do a wash with Devlan Mud. Then, go back and "clean up" the wash with Bleached Bone, then maybe do a final edge/tip highlight with Skull White. Don't forget to "write" very fine lines in Chaos Black on the parchment to represent script that's too small to read.

For basing, if you're new to that, I'd say keep it REALLY simple. Get some modeling sand (You can buy GW's, but there are MANY companies out there that make this stuff, and you owe it to yourself to shop around a bit), and some PVA glue (good 'ol fashioned Elmers works nicely), along with an old brush. Take a few drops of glue, water it down a touch, then use your OLD brush to "paint" the base. Then, shove the base into the tub of sand, shake it around, pull it out, then tilt the base sideways and tap it to knock off the excess.

Let it dry, then you should probably "paint" a very light layer of thinned-down PVA glue over the sand to seal it in place. If you have brush-on primer, you should prime it. If not, you CAN paint over the glue, but it won't work as well. Paint it a dull, dark color, then do a light drybrush of something lighter, leaving the dark color down in the cracks. As to what color, well, that's up to you. It can be brown (Scorched Brown undercoat, drybrush with Snakebite Leather or Bleached Bone), gray (Black or Shadow Grey undercoat, drybrush Codex Gray), or even a red "Martian" landscape (basecoat Dark Flesh, drybrush Bleached Bone). It's up to you.

Good luck, and post more pics! Looking great so far!
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Thanks for the input. I painted the base brown (except the edges which I like black) then glued on the stones. I used devlan mud wash on the stones, did a little dry brushing then stuck on the static grass, turned out good imo.

I followed Canew's directions for the purity seals with green paint so the seal didn't just blend into the cape. Thanks for your help.

Here is the final product.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

damn, dude, that looks like from AOBR's promo pic! it's really awesome, I hope I can do such good job when I eventually paint one. Again, really good!

PS. Would be cool if you could post bigger pics.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Second the bigger pics. Show that sucker off! If you need help enlarging it without distortion/blurring, drop me a PM and I can talk you through it. It's not hard.

More importantly, it looks like you've done well. Yes, green wax is probably the second most common way to do it, and that looks fantastic! The parchment looks even better. Very, very nice job!

The base looks good too. Did you basecoat the sand first before adding the wash? The grass is a nice touch. Breaks up the monotony well.

Overall, an excellent piece. You should be proud to have that on the table! Paint your whole army this well and your opponent will drool with jealousy! Good work!
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

I tried base coating the sand and I didnt like the result as much as the wash without base coating. It really looks like gravel in person.

Thanks for all the help and compliments!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very nice, I can't do shading so I just don't try anymore...

EDIT:Just noticed, he IS wearing a backpack, but not the one that can with the set, good work anyway!
    http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/general-discussions/21066-160-ways-annoy-your-foe.html<----Click here for funny stuff, I SAID CLICK HERE SOLDIER!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast