Spirit Marines - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spirit Marines

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spirit Marines

I plan to paint up my chaos marines as the spirits of the dead to match up with my interesting fluff, the damned souls of dead traitors, risen by tzeentch's might and wisdom to wreak revenge upon all those who still remain loyal to the false emperor. They are going to be a mix of different chaos units all painted in a ghostly shade of blues and greens to represent the risen souls of chaos. i put this here to get some feed back on a test model i did, note this is a loyalist marine and thus lacking the exceptional detail of the chaos armor, so without further adu i give you my test scheme:

i achieved this scheme in the following techniques:
    base coat of black
    1) paint on regal blue
    2) heavy drybrush of enchanted blue
    3) light drybrush of ice blue (or 1:1 enchanted blue:skull white which ever i have handy)
    4) "Inked" in VERY watered down Dark Angles green
    5) final highlight of skull white drybrush on tips of the model

my main question to you is, should i keep the green or swap to a watered down dark blue wash?
    and when should i highlight, before the "ink" or after?
    oh and C&C is always welcomed, as usual

please click my eggs & dragon hatchlings:

Ignorance is bliss

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x3)

I think he looks fantastic!!! keep as is
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...d.php?t=104497
    PM me about Aurora Prime Vassal fights! Willing and ready!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

have you considered highlighting from within the figure? basecoat it white, then paint increasingly darker layers of green/blue as you get to what you would normally call highlights. if done correctly, it looks quite spectral.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

55 (x4)

I don't like how the blue/green turned out. It looks like an ultramarine went for a dip in the murk swamps of Sobrak. Take a look at what the others have done with the LotR undead armies. I think it'll give you some good ideas.

Games Workshop
    Last edited by CBrate; March 13th, 2009 at 08:59.
    And over there we have the labyrinth guards.
    One always lies, one always tells the truth, and one stabs people who ask tricky questions.
    http://xkcd.com/246

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    255 (x6)

I don't like the blue and green either. They should either be blue, or green, but not both.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

this is an example of the "reverse highlight", both of these are from privateer press.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Comm_Nagrom View Post
    I plan to paint up my chaos marines as the spirits of the dead to match up with my interesting fluff, the damned souls of dead traitors, risen by tzeentch's might and wisdom to wreak revenge upon all those who still remain loyal to the false emperor. They are going to be a mix of different chaos units all painted in a ghostly shade of blues and greens to represent the risen souls of chaos. i put this here to get some feed back on a test model i did, note this is a loyalist marine and thus lacking the exceptional detail of the chaos armor, so without further adu i give you my test scheme:

i achieved this scheme in the following techniques:
    base coat of black
    1) paint on regal blue
    2) heavy drybrush of enchanted blue
    3) light drybrush of ice blue (or 1:1 enchanted blue:skull white which ever i have handy)
    4) "Inked" in VERY watered down Dark Angles green
    5) final highlight of skull white drybrush on tips of the model

my main question to you is, should i keep the green or swap to a watered down dark blue wash?
    and when should i highlight, before the "ink" or after?
    oh and C&C is always welcomed, as usual

I agree with the others the green looks out of place. Maybe it it was a lighter green, it REALLY stands out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

I am also not a big fan of this model, and was planning to write something up yesterday, but decided to let go as it was perhaps just my own personal opinion, so please do not feel as if I was putting your work down… But I have to agree with others that the color choice/execution is not too great. I was also going to mention LoTR or WHFB lines (Vamprie Counts Banshees are perfect examples) of spectacular armies that accomplish the “ghostly” color scheme much better and in cleaner manner. This marine looks more like a figure sitting for several days in the aquarium (not trying to be mean, but if you have an aquarium at home, you can see the greenish algae (I think) growing on some stones and decorations underwater)… If these were drybrushed, than I think you are either leaving too much paint or doing it with not enough brush movement as the colors seems to be just dabbed onto the model in several spots…

The link that CBrate provided is I think showing what you should be aiming for. At the minimum, pick either blue or green and just stick to one color on your “ghostly” minis. Experiment, I am sure you will make it work!

Good Luck!

King of the Burning Sands Backdraft005's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

71 (x3)

I think it looks good, I would however make the blue less apparent and the green more predominant. I understand what your going for, more of a simmering like look, kind of ghosty look that where in old 70-80 movies used when experiment with green-screen media.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x1)

If you want a much easier way to paint a ghostly form, I would suggest this, Spray white, then use thrakka green wash on about half the model or so, and then use aserman blue wash on whatever isn't green, it's ok if the green and blue wash mix together in certain spot, since it will give a nice transition colour. Now for the final step, dry brush with either skull white, or bleached bone, I like skull white better personally. It's only 3 steps, so you should be able to pump out armies like mad, you can add more details if you like, i would suggest glowing eyes and the like.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast