How Do I Model Round & Smooth Defiler Armour? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    454 (x7)

How Do I Model Round & Smooth Defiler Armour?

Iím creating an army of robots for 40k at the moment and Iíve chosen to have their armour smooth as you can see in my conversions below.

Now Iím looking to convert a large humanoid robot using the Defiler kit however I want its appearance to match those of the smaller robots instead of itís normally rough and sharp look.

So can anyone suggest how I can convert armour similar to that of my smaller robots to go over the defiler limbs, without the use of green stuff?

This is driving me nuts so any advice would be much appreciated as I really want to convert a robot similar to the SENTINEL from Xmen Evolution and the NOD AVATARfrom Command & Conquer 3:

Also if you like to see more of my robot conversion visit my production log: http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...oject-log.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    92 (x2)

Could try looking for other robot models as a basis for your conversion and add the defiler parts to it.
    Last edited by Tyrius; March 20th, 2009 at 07:26.
    My upcoming blog in the works:
    http://plasticrackminis.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    454 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrius View Post
    Could try looking for other robot models as a basis for your conversion and add the defiler parts to it.
    Can't do that as most of my armies are taken to tournaments the majority of the conversion has to be GW based.

is a hardcore rebel dutchie the great's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x3)

Yeah I have great difficulty with rounded armour aswell, but to do it without Any putty seems inpossible,

I know you said no! GS but I thought Id say my method anyways,
    What i do is make the basic shape of the armour with Kneadit, then using 150 sandpaper I sand it down to the right look and "roundness" then i sand it again with fine grain "wet and dry".

thats what I do, but I cant think how to do it without putty though.

ill have a think about it tonight and post if I have a break through.

-DTG
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ungbloods.html

Come and join the YoungBloods social group!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

454 (x7)

Heres a good idea of how the defiler will be converted, except one arm will have a battle cannon instead of a claw and maybe a large head.

A friend of mine has suggested that I maybe able to find something to use in anime mecha kits, but I'm having trouble finding a mech kit with armour that can be adapted to the defiler?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

84 (x3)

Have you considered using some plasticard to get the armor plates made. They have various thicknesses and can bend to shape with a little heat.
    World Eater and Blood Angels striped 8/28/10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x5)

I've had a good deal of success using plastic ribs to define the shape and polyester putty (or similar, Bondo body filler works nicely) to provide the bulk. Simply add more putty than needed and carve/file/sand it down to the final size and shape.
    We've got plenty of youth... How about a fountain of smart?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

92 (x2)

Which tournaments do you play in that say that? The last GW tournament rules I read only said they will not photograph any non-gw models if you win.
    My upcoming blog in the works:
    http://plasticrackminis.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

454 (x7)

I believe Iíve found a solution to my problem in the form of a Gundam model kit....

Itís a model thatís 13cm tall and I think the armour would fit very well over the defiler build Iím looking at using (see previous post) maybe add some trims similar to my small robots using greenstuff.

Do you guys think it could work?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    539 (x8)

Perhaps you could take inspiration from the FW Brass Scorpion?
    Link
    Got a "good" rumour from a GW staffer? Forget about it, LO'ers know more than any random GW shop staffer.
    Voor alle nederlanders:
    The Dutch Legion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+ Reply to Thread