ink problems - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ink problems

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ink problems

im having problems with some old inks (brown ink) where it is drying up within the creases right to the basecoat. I dont know if its because its old ink, or if im watering it down too much, but it is really getting on my nerves. whats the problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x2)

What do you mean by going to the base coat?

is a hardcore rebel dutchie the great's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x3)

A bit vague, do you mean that around the recces where it is ment to be shading it is making one giant stain ring?

why are you using the inks anyways, washes work better, and they barely ever stain, if you are looking for a glossy finish then go for some ard coat.

-DTG
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ungbloods.html

Come and join the YoungBloods social group!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by dutchie the great View Post
    A bit vague, do you mean that around the recces where it is ment to be shading it is making one giant stain ring?

why are you using the inks anyways, washes work better, and they barely ever stain, if you are looking for a glossy finish then go for some ard coat.

-DTG
    QFT...

Your post is a little confusing, trapjaw. If you could post up some pics of your problem, it would really help out people trying to help.

-t.
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

Chilli Fueled Heretic danjones87's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1329 (x8)

When using heavily thinned inks it is more common to find the majority runs into the deep recesses. You also get larger amounts of 'tide marks' on the edge were the thinner layers of ink dry faster than the larger amounts.

The new washes are quiet good from what I here, all my friends like them alot. I have used inks alot in my time, the semi gloss finish you sometimes get can be (and should be) removed by using a satin or matt varnish as a final stage of painting.

Also, if you think inks and washes are good, try oil paints!

Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what i do is base my skellies with white spray paint, and ink them to pull out the recesses. What my ink is doing is drying up within the recesses, revealing the white base. It seems to be staiming relatively flat surfaces, but not the creases.

Right now the only reason i dont use washes is after experimenting with them on my skellies i dont think they look as good as the old inks.

its not the tide marks that are the problem, but that the ink is drying up completely within the recesses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x2)

First off inks are supposed to dry in the creases XD. Another thing that i thing you are saying is that they dont get deep enough. Two solutions are: too much water added or too little. I hoped i helped

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

Ah, you mean that it is 'vanishing' from the recesses, leaving no stain?

If so, there are a few things that coud be the problem (in my experience).
    Firstly, make sure they aren't drying under a very bright lamp, or in a very warm place. If the ink evaporates too fast, it may simply leave no trace of itself in areas where it has pooled (odd, but occasionally true).

The second big thing to do is make sure you are being gentle when applying the ink. If you make fast, dry-brushing-like motions with inks you will make bubbles in it, which can often stay in the recesses of the model until the ink drys, when they burst, leaving a big empty space in your wash.
    Not so good.

Those are the two things that seem most obvious to me, could either of them be the problem?

-t.
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

Another possible cure for that problem is to add 20% or so Future Floor Wax (or an actual commercial acrylic painting medium, but I've yet to find one that really works any better than FFW for this purpose) to the water you're using to thin your washes.

It'll leave them shiny, but you always dullcote anyway, right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x3)

It Sounds like your watering the inks down, and not mixing them enough.

I found that if you add water to your inks before applying them to the model, and you don’t mix it well enough, the ink will settle on the surface of your wash and not fill in like it should.

Basically after you wash the models, the ink dries everywhere, but the deepest cracks because the pigment of the ink floats in water, unless mixed well.
    I put the Laughter back into Slaughter.
    Sons of Prometheus <click>
    Children of Murder <clic>

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast