New to painting, - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to painting,

Hello,
    I recently got into wh 40k and love to paint the miniatures. I have done a few and think I m getting the hang of it. My problem is I don't know anyone involved in the game or anything so I have no real feed back. I am hoping the people here will have some pointers for me. My photo skills are a bit lacking so sorry about the pics.
    If you think I suck, try to be nice please, But I do want help.
    thanks

this was one of the first I did.

another, I plan to do a third like this with green. and use these to lead my 3 tac squads.

and this is one of my dreadnoughts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those are actually kinda good. I just think the first pic needs maybe a bit more work on, i just think you need to get multiple layers of the same paint to first - pop out the color, and also to cover and black marks that may be showing, it seems a bit chalky.

That 2nd model looks good.

The dread looks really good to me, fine work.

Also - try mix of colors to get the approach you want, or multiple of the same layer to draw out the erfect more

I too am a beginner , so my advice may not be as helpful - but then again - I couldn't resist not responding when one is in need of advice or the like.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

They are actually pretty nice - how long have you been painting?

The most immediate thing I can suggest to help you improve would be to try thinning down our paints when you are using them, and instead build colours up in thin layers.
    The first captain/sergeant guy (with the white helmet and powerfist) showcases the 'blobbing' effect that you can start to see when thick paint builds up and creates an uneven surface on the model.

If you mix water into your paint on a palette, you can achieve a much smoother result. It is often said that the 'right' consistency for paint is about that of milk, so that it should flow evenly from your brush if you pull it across a piece of paper.
    It is something quite hard to explain in writing, if possible you should try and get to a GW or other hobby store near you, and see if someone can give you a basic painting lesson. Otherwise, just try out lots of different thicknesses and see which ones work for you.

Otherwise, very nice work.
    Keep it up!

-t.
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to both of you,

I have painted space marines for like a month now, I painted like "artistically" for years though. I do thin the paint I use, maybe I need to more. I did notice that the white paint more than any other blobs up and becomes uneven. is that normal or does my white need replacing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x1)

It tends to vary from pot to pot - I've personally found white to be one of the thinnest paints I've picked up, wheras most metal ones start out thick and only want to get thicker over time.

I'll second what the others have said. You're off to a great start. The first thing to work on is getting the right paint consistancy. After that (looking at the Dread in particular), I'd look into drybrushing - fairly easy technique for models. Basically, you get the paint you want on the tip of your brush, then wipe most of it off on a paper towel, then brush it over a textured surface. The paint will only stick to the raised areas, so it makes things like textured pipes easier to paint while maintaing detail.

After that, since it's marines, look into highlighting on the edges of the models. There's a good number of tutorials here at the site you can look into; in fact, I'd just follow the links listed by other users on this thread: http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...king-tips.html

Seriously though, your experience working with paints already shows. At this point, it's just working on things specific to model painting itself.

searching for sheep silentdeathz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreden View Post
    Thanks to both of you,

I have painted space marines for like a month now, I painted like "artistically" for years though. I do thin the paint I use, maybe I need to more. I did notice that the white paint more than any other blobs up and becomes uneven. is that normal or does my white need replacing.
    make sure to clean your brush regularly also as it will dry very fast into lumpy bits

I'm going to guess thatsd a freehand on the dreadnought banner? In all honestly if you employed your 'artistic' drawing skills on a model it would turn out extremely well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As mentioned by others, you do a very nice job of freehanding and painting, and its just the model painting that needs work. Thin ya paints, blah blah, highlight, etc.
    Depending on your priming coat color, white may take 4-5 coats to get a crisp clean white. The key with model painting is multiple thin coats or you get the chalky/lumpy look.

I've just started to really attempt all the techniques I'm talking about, but you can see a definite difference in the realism of the model. Anyways, it seems as if you have the steady hand and artistic touch needed for the hobby, and I really like your black lining on the second commander. Keep practicing and your already great artistic skills will manifest in a great mini painting skills as well.

White is one of the hardest to start with painting as a new painter without getting lumpy, but multi thin coats is the best path for this.
    I started/am still painting BTs and thats been my biggest obstacle.
    Last edited by Bozinator; April 2nd, 2009 at 19:55. Reason: Forgot something!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Freehand? No, not on those banners anyway. Actually, both my dreds have them, they came from the captains. I didn't like them on the marines, I will use the smaller power packs with the Aquila on them. so I had these extra packs with big banners on them and thought, "hey that might look cool on my dreadnought" so I cut it up and painted it. I think they look better there than they would have on the guys.

I do do freehand stuff, but i save it mostly for tanks, I am painting the image from the banner of Macragge on the side of my land raider, but its not near done. Ill post it up when I am farther along.

Thanks for the help and positive feedback, allready I am glad I asked here.

searching for sheep silentdeathz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x2)

CoolMiniOrNot - The Lost Son by Yellow one

Is what I mean by painting in a more 'artistic' as you say, style.

I'm sure with your already acquired brush skills you could learn ALOT very fast from the tutorial section here :

http://www.coolminiornot.com/article/cid/1
    Last edited by silentdeathz; April 2nd, 2009 at 20:48.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

what others said...

and drill holes in those barrels

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast