Need Opinions and Tips - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need Opinions and Tips

Well, I picked up Warhammer 40k Last week and i've never painted a miniature before. Hell, I've never really painted anything since I finger painted as a child in school. I've read a decent amount and painted one of my guys as an example to see where i can improve.

He isn't done yet, I still want to add some more highlights on the bumps and such but I'd still like opinions and tips.

Far pictures are for more of what it would look like while on a table while in a game.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's resident Yowie Dead Dude Walking's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    272 (x4)

Before you start painting you need to remove all the mould lines. These are the tiny lines of plastic left behind from when they made the sprue. These ar easilly taken care of with a hobby knife. A big one I can see here is the one on the front of the leg. Now to painting.

You have done a good "basecoat" on the model. You now need to add shading and highlights (you said you have highlighted him but the pics aren't showing them). An easy way to do this is to "wash" it. Just like at school where you draw with oil pastels and then painted it with very wartered down paint. You do the same here. Take the merchite red (I think that is the colour you used right?) and add some black so that it is much darker, now water the paint down alot. Paint this all over the model and leave it to dry. Make sure that it goes into the cracks and crevices of the bloodletter. Now take some blood red (normal red, like the kind on a colour wheel) and brush off most of the paint on a piece of paper or old shirt. Now you "drybrush" the model. These two easy steps will give you highlights and a good shading on your model.

Good luck and welcome to the hobby!
    <----- Dead Dude's WIP Thread, in all it's pant wetting glory! :D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I haven't actually highlighted yet, that's all I have left to do. I got the sprues off as much as I could without removing some of the other pieces, I don't exactly have the right tools for getting them all the way off yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

If you can afford it, get the Citadel washes from GW. Just cover the red area with the red wash, right from the pot. Wait for it to dry then drybrush the raised areas with blood red.

If you dont know what drybrushing is. Get a fairly old paint brush, dont use a new one as this will damage the point. Get a small amount of paint on it, right from the pot. Then wipe it off onto some tissue, keep wiping till you barley have any paint on the brush. Now use this to paint over the lumps and bumps. The paint should catch on the bumps highlight them for you.

It may take some practise, just keep trying

is a hardcore rebel dutchie the great's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x3)

Most of the points have already been covered but I thought id just add that you should wash the horns with devlin mud which is a citidel wash.

then "drybrush" them skull white.

And as DDW said, try to remove mold lines from minis, I didnt do when I started off and got into some bad habbits.

Also Welcome to the Hobby
    -DTG
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ungbloods.html

Come and join the YoungBloods social group!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I already did wash them with Devlin Mud x.x I could add more I guess, I kinda like the way they look now. Though the drybrush of white sounds like a good idea.

is a hardcore rebel dutchie the great's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x3)

Lol my bad, I can see it now.
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ungbloods.html

Come and join the YoungBloods social group!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks good so far, add some more detail, and show us again and we can tell you more. I'm pretty new too so I can say the advice you get here is real good, these guys now what they are talking about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I did my best to darken it with chaos black. Still getting the hang of it and everything.

I highlighted with blood red and then the horns with Skull White.

Opinions? Advice for future guys?

Also! This guy has the crest of khorne on his forhead, i wanna paint it a different color so it's more noticeable, any suggestions?

searching for sheep silentdeathz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x2)

for the body : Now go over every raised area with the original base colour leaving a bit of the darkened layer in the deepest recesses. Then repeat with a slightly lighter shade and leave a bit of the previous layer showing.

In essence build up layers.

EDIT : I had the base of this Tyranid arm painted so i quickly layered on some highlights

Hopefully it helps
    Last edited by silentdeathz; April 6th, 2009 at 05:19.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast