Dreadnought Conversion - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dreadnought Conversion

After recently playing Dawn of War, and deciding that I want another dreadnought (the black reach one with multi melta) I decided that I want to convert it to be either a) simply crushing x troop, b) crushing and shooting x troop with the stormbolter mounted under the CC weapon or c) holding a freshly charred x troop that was recently flamed by the CC mounted heavy flamer.

Now, my dilema is picking one of these 3 scenerios, and most of all picking the race to doom. I want to do CSM, but I'm worried that they will be too bulky to properly convert, so I'm thinking... eldar or tau for the moment. Ideally its going to be a CSM struggling against it, either with fresh, non-fatal bullet holes, or heavily charred armour, but it seems unrealistic modeling and scale wise. Ideas anyone?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x3)

The CSM model has allot of plastic options, so that might make it easier to convert. The Tau also seems like it would be easier to convert. The eldar have a fairly limited set of arms to use so they might not be as easy.

If you use a CSM you can even use some of your space marine bits for arms and legs, just use a chaos head, shoulders and torso and he will look the part.
    I put the Laughter back into Slaughter.
    Sons of Prometheus <click>
    Children of Murder <clic>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did some dry fitting with my other 'nought and various bitz I have, and marine torsoes are just far too big to fit into its hand... while tau fire warriors are just the right size! Hmm... fire or guns?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by isitused View Post
    The CSM model has allot of plastic options,
    I don't think the Chaos Dreadnought has any plastic parts, it's all metal. I think what you want to do is damge but I'm a bit confused by what you said. A Chaos Dreadnought will be all covered in spikes and such anyway. Chips out of the edges will make it look damaged. If the model is plastic you can dab a little plastic glue on it with a cloth and them smear it about. The result is it will look like acid burns.

Senior Member Inquisitor_Naravus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

Crush the weedy ones! (Eldar)

Sounds like a promising conversion and I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well pics may take a while, as I'm planning on ordering the 'nought this weekend, along with the bitz for one unfortunate tau fire warrior (eldar are out of the picture, as the bitz site I'm ordering from doesnt carry any eldar models for some strange reason). Another squad of termies may be on their way as well =D (I really need to stop expanding my SM's and get some more tau models... but they just look so cool and are easy to convert!!!)

Anyhow, quick mockup on MS paint of the whole idea below (decided on storm bolter, probably easier to do than charred flesh in the long run) -

Wow ms paint sucks, and my scanner is broken =/

Also, anyone have an idea of how armour would react to a couple hundred tonnes of crushing force? (And how to model it?)
    Last edited by Fangda; April 7th, 2009 at 00:59.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fangda View Post
    Also, anyone have an idea of how armour would react to a couple hundred tonnes of crushing force? (And how to model it?)
    Take a soda can. Cut the top off it. Put a peach or something squishy inside, squeeze said soda can... that should resemble a crushed helmet with the skull and guts inside leaking out.

Alternatively you can just crush a soda can, sideways... not vertically to see the effect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I totaly vote for the flame. It would look much more awesome for a naught to be absent-midedly dropping a charred CSM behind him. either way good look and i'll be looking for pics!
    FOR PIE AND THE IMPERIUM! (in that order)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only trouble is modeling charred flesh; I would have to somehow recess the burnt areas, and I'm not too sure how I should go about doing that. On the other hand, bullet holes = pin vice + some green stuff = yay (Outward dents on the back from bullets that didn't quite make it through the full torso is an idea I had). Then again, it's hard to argue with charbroiled baddie. UGH.
    -EDIT-
    K finalized design - in thinking about basing options, I decided to do imperial city rubble... so...
    'nought pinning a CSM against a wall with CC weapon, or turning away from a wall with smash crater and a crumpled, riddled CSM at the bottom.
    In any case, the base will be the same, so its going to be started soon, pics soon.
    Last edited by Fangda; April 9th, 2009 at 00:48.
    Marines - All built, 4/5 painted. Tau - 3/4 built, 0 painted. 'crons - 1/2 built, 1/2 painted.
    I suck at staying on task.

+ Reply to Thread