But is it blending? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x1)

But is it blending?

Well after alot of time and patience i came up with this sword! Tell me what you think!

THis is my first time ever trying to wet blend so I think it came out decent.

NiD

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks good to me. Only thing that I think could change is the purple towards the base of the sword could be darker in order to increase the contrast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    127 (x3)

There are a few definitions of blending. Here are some:

1. Wet blending, what you're doing. Wet-blending is the most difficult (IMHO) way to master. You really need to invest in some paint extender/retarder if you want to be able to work your blends for a while, or even use oil paints (not recommended if you haven't used them on canvas before) as they stay wet for up to a day or two.

2. Glazing. Glazing is generally the term for using very thinned paints to tint colors for warmer tones, cooler tones, brighter and darker. Usually start with a midtone basecoat, work the shades then work the highlights up.

3. Getting frustrated. I recommend a good quisinart or a wal-mart blender if you're tight on the cash.

4. Feathering. (I myself use a mix of feathering and glazing). Feathering is like watered down drybrushing on a fine brush and wiping a bit more paint off the brush. I'd reccomend getting/making a a wet/dimpled pallete so you don't have to be consantly get more paint on the pallete and water it down, and the dimpled so you don't have to worry about your paints running all over the place. Use very thin, very numerous layers to get smooth transitions.

I think that what you have done is a very good start but on the sharp end of the blade, it needs some cleaning up.

Hope this helps
    How dare you speak out against LO! I shall beat you with a giant inflatable duck and then ban you to the lowest level of hell! ~Karmoon
    My recruitment link!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x1)

Thanks guys ill try to clean it up a bit! The wetblending was actually pretty easy for me. I just had to be patient and be sure to water my paints down.

NiD

searching for sheep silentdeathz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x2)

An excellent first try. I think however you'll appreciate the dificulty of wet blending much more if you try it on a smaller piece where mitakes etc are much more noticable. F.E the wavy line on the underside of the sword doesnt make a big difference here
    Last edited by silentdeathz; April 11th, 2009 at 02:00.

+ Reply to Thread