Shining Gold sucks! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

Shining Gold sucks!

hey guys,

I'm getting annoyed by painting Shining Gold. It's not that it's thick, I water it down, but it's more that it's hard to...hmmm, how to describe it...control it. I guess it's the coverage that sucks. Like for example with Chainmail, I can do really precise strokes and it covers really well, but with Shining Gold I can hardly create nice, fine lines, cause it's either too gloopy or doesn't cover well and then I need to do several layers which make it hard to get a nice line.

I'm not sure if you understand me, but if you do, do you have any tips or something? I get a feeling that there isn't much you can do, except with maybe mixing and thus changing the colour, but maybe someone's got some miracle.

It seems to be a similar situation with Brazen Brass and Burnished Gold, while Tin Bitz rules just like Chainmail. Are my samples bad or do others find a similar issue?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x3)

Have you considered using a flow improver with the gold. It should help the flow of the paint of the brush and give you some more options. Sounds like you are thinning it way to much.
    World Eater and Blood Angels striped 8/28/10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

I understand the problem, and I've noticed it too. It seems to be a lot harder to get good coverage with the 'gold' type metallics than with the 'silver' ones. I don't really know why, other than the fact that gold is quite close to being a metallic yellow and yellows have notoriously bad coverage.

I haven't got a solution either, just lots of coats. If you want a fine line you can always tidy it up after you've got the gold down by painting the background colour over any area where you don't want the gold.
    Thou shalt remember:
    Warhammer Fantasy armies do NOT have Codices. They have Army Books.

LINK - Guitarists of LO Group

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

I've got a solution which is really simple

Basecoat black, paint the entire section you want to be gold with a silver depending on how dark you want it - mithril for lighter & boltgun for darker etc. Then paint over with the gold. The gold will need only 1-2 coats but the metallic area you just painted silver will now be gold. voila!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Astynax View Post

Basecoat black, paint the entire section you want to be gold with a silver depending on how dark you want it - mithril for lighter & boltgun for darker etc. Then paint over with the gold. The gold will need only 1-2 coats but the metallic area you just painted silver will now be gold. voila!
    Yeah, I usually do this. The silver beneath the gold helps it to be brighter than if you'd just worked with several coats of gold.
    Thou shalt remember:
    Warhammer Fantasy armies do NOT have Codices. They have Army Books.

LINK - Guitarists of LO Group

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mix in a small amount of mythril silver before you thin it out that gives you a nice consistent gold that should cover first time.

i do the same thing with yellow i add a little bit of white and it seems to sort it out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x1)

Same as above.

The trick is to make sure you water it down to the right point as the mix can look a bit ....."strained?" if you thin it to much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brassy Brass, a Vallejo paint, also makes for a good gold base I've found, especially in conjunction with the trick of mixing in a tiny point of silver.

King of the Burning Sands Backdraft005's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Astynax View Post

I do that too, works for me fine. Mix in a little brass paint (Val or GW) then highlight with pure shining gold, that works too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    222 (x7)

Had been having problems too so going to try out the mixing with silver method.

Many thanks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast