I think I like black priming a heck of a lot better than white. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x4)

I think I like black priming a heck of a lot better than white.

With the white you have to put like 3 light coats of paint to get a solid base coat down with any colour, but with the black you only need one, because the lowest coating is by far the darkest, starting on white requires a much more solid color. With the black it doesn't have to be so solid, it can just be light.

Anyone else feel the same way?

A youth with his first cigar makes himself sick; a youth with his first girl makes other people sick. - Mary Wilson Little

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

The Fabulous Pyramids and Necropolis of Lost Lybaras
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x1)

Hello Archonofdeath,

Yes, depending on what you paint, black undercoat can totally be the way to go. Some armies lend themselves to it, like Nurgle and Dark Elves. But if you want really clean looking colors like many Eldar and some bright Marine chapters, you probably have to go with white after all?

What do you play and paint, by the way?

Good fortune to you!
    Francois

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

68 (x4)

I'm working on Bretonnians. Trying to get the first colour down has been irritating with the white since it continues to show through. The black will as well, but when it shows through it just makes it look darker, with the white it becomes this glaring ugliness to it that makes it so you have to keep putting down layers.

But, then again, I suppose a lot of other people would rather avoid putting down as many coats as me just in general and would probably start with a much brighter colour, mine are starting as around 50/50 mixes of black and the suggest lowest coating, then onto a much cleaner coating of whatever that color is, putting the next brightest color in the series for whatever it is down (red gore going over dark flesh to make reds, for instance), then putting the desired color down, washing, and then highlighting.

Mind that I am also leaving various layers showing before washing and highlighting, so everything will show in one way or another. And the black kind of adds an even darker layer, meaning you can miss small dots of primer and they don't become glaring issues later.
    Last edited by archonofdeath; April 13th, 2009 at 06:19.
    A youth with his first cigar makes himself sick; a youth with his first girl makes other people sick. - Mary Wilson Little

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    572 (x8)

I undercoat white for a few thing. mainly cool looking armor by just doing a wash over white.

The Fabulous Pyramids and Necropolis of Lost Lybaras
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

78 (x1)

Bretonnians! Wow, that surprises me, with all the bright and festive heraldry I definitely would have guessed they were a 'white primer' army. Your approach sounds very efficient, I would love to see some of your paint jobs! Any chance you could post some pics?

Sweet Saint Repanse watch over thee!
    Petite Francois

King of the Burning Sands Backdraft005's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

71 (x3)

Try grey, which is a intermediate color if you need to paint either black or white majority on the model.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

68 (x4)

When I get them painted

I've been out of warhammer for a while and got back in a couple months ago, I've got a whole army that I'm painting and I've yet to get through all of the first set of coatings. As for efficient, no not so much, but the results should be good. Although I guess if I were painting each model individually then it wouldn't take too long, oh and I guess if I hadn't spent the last week just getting the bases done then I would be a lot further on. I found out that I should paint the sand and bases separately, add paint to the glue, then attach the sand to the bases, this way it doesn't take a whole lot of time and effort to paint the bases. In the end I ended up mixing black and brown together with water and dipped the bases in like 6 times to get the paint on.

But now that that is over and I finally got some more scorched brown I should be good, it's regrettable that I only primed the models I intend to make dark black, and not the pastels or the mids.

Oh, yeah, and my entire army is going to be different colours, nothing really tying anyone together, no unifying colors and a whole range of tones.

is a hardcore rebel dutchie the great's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Backdraft005 View Post
    Try grey, which is a intermediate color if you need to paint either black or white majority on the model.

Yeah I like grey aswell, All colours seem to go down well on grey (then again I usually use foundation or P3).

-DTG
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ungbloods.html

Come and join the YoungBloods social group!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

84 (x3)

I prefer using a white or grey primer, not a big fan of the black. With the color scheme i use for my blood angles the white works the best as i start off with a very dark base coat of hull red and work my way up to the final red.
    World Eater and Blood Angels striped 8/28/10

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

68 (x4)

I start with a really dark coating as well, the issue lies with that. When I brush on the lowest coat instead of going "I see color" I go "DARN IT I STILL SEE WHITE GAAAAAH" and have to put on more coats. Making each model take a heck of a lot more time to get started, which stinks since I am working on some 40 models at once, taking 20 minutes a model to get the basecoat for one colour on is fairly irritating when it should only take maybe 5 minutes. I've got the time down a lot but I had to go with a thicker coat, which means there is the risk it's too thick and it becomes blatantly clear that there is too much paint down.
    Last edited by archonofdeath; April 13th, 2009 at 07:06.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast