improvements - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: improvements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

improvements

ok so i posted a thread a couple of days ago and got some good feedback on how to improve my painting. using the spare parts from the combat squad that i bought and upgraded i made another marine in which i tried to take on board the suggestions i got from my first thread. i think it turned out pretty well for just a bog standard marine (i didnt give him any particular alligance with regards to chapter and the like) but i'd like to know what you guys think i did better this time and more importantly what i can do better in the future!
    oh and heres the last thread in case you want to see what my previous marines were like; http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...plar-army.html

Oh and i was also able to get better pictures due to minus_t's tutorial so thanks for that.

Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He looks good. Now on rank and file troops you've got to draw the line somewhere or you'll never finish your army.

One thing I advise is highlighting the eyes on a marine, just that eye highlight makes them sorta pop, its amazing how much it changes the model. White dwarf has tons of great eyes to look at. I generally paint them black, highlight the underside of them almost like drawing a little smile, and then add a little white dot in the outside corner.

Beyond that the general advice I give is at least three shades on everything. A shadow, a mid tone, and a highlight. Do that and you'll have a pretty little soldier everytime.

Here is a picture of one of my guys. Not showing off, just wanted to show my work so you can be confident that I have at lease some idea of what I'm up to and I'm not just a wingnut. Its a bad pic but its all I've got.
    Attached Images

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    282 (x5)

I can se the difference from before, you have kept the colour more in the lines. Also the colours looks thinner. But of course there is always things to improve (lucky us... )

1. Try no to paint to many part the exact same colour, now its hard to separate the armour from the gun and other details are hard to spot.

2. Metallic colours needs a little different technique compared to normal colours, im not a metallic expert, but I do know some of the basics. First a metallic colours needs washes to aqueous deep, even more then normal colour, try a dark brown, black and green, brown/red or dark blue/Gray. Its not a bad thing to use more then one colour for the wash/shade, just let the layers dry. To use normal colours with the metallic takes away some of the shine in the shade, this is a good this as the edge shod shine more then the shade. After this ad some more metallics on the edges and perhaps a brighter metal colour for the extreme highlights.

3. use a black wash around the eye so it will pop more, try to get the colour only here the eye are, or it will look messy.

Hope this will help you some in the future.
    Keep the paint diluted and thin :)
    (first rule in Zentradis book of painting)
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/Zentradi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by inquisitor verno View Post
    He looks good. Now on rank and file troops you've got to draw the line somewhere or you'll never finish your army.

One thing I advise is highlighting the eyes on a marine, just that eye highlight makes them sorta pop, its amazing how much it changes the model. White dwarf has tons of great eyes to look at. I generally paint them black, highlight the underside of them almost like drawing a little smile, and then add a little white dot in the outside corner.

Beyond that the general advice I give is at least three shades on everything. A shadow, a mid tone, and a highlight. Do that and you'll have a pretty little soldier everytime.

Here is a picture of one of my guys. Not showing off, just wanted to show my work so you can be confident that I have at lease some idea of what I'm up to and I'm not just a wingnut. Its a bad pic but its all I've got.
    Thats a really really nice model. thanks for the advice too, and i see what you mean about the three tones my model looks almost monotonous now that i look at it again. ill definatly try out that eye highlighting technique you mentioned when im able to buy some more marines.

Quote Originally Posted by Zentradi View Post
    I can se the difference from before, you have kept the colour more in the lines. Also the colours looks thinner. But of course there is always things to improve (lucky us... )

1. Try no to paint to many part the exact same colour, now its hard to separate the armour from the gun and other details are hard to spot.

2. Metallic colours needs a little different technique compared to normal colours, im not a metallic expert, but I do know some of the basics. First a metallic colours needs washes to aqueous deep, even more then normal colour, try a dark brown, black and green, brown/red or dark blue/Gray. Its not a bad thing to use more then one colour for the wash/shade, just let the layers dry. To use normal colours with the metallic takes away some of the shine in the shade, this is a good this as the edge shod shine more then the shade. After this ad some more metallics on the edges and perhaps a brighter metal colour for the extreme highlights.

3. use a black wash around the eye so it will pop more, try to get the colour only here the eye are, or it will look messy.

Hope this will help you some in the future.
    thanks for the tips about varying the colours i use and utilising wahses when dealing in metalics. i noticed the problem with the colours too when i uploaded the photo so thanks for the help regarding how to fix that. im definatly going to try to use washes in my next models like you said although its difficult becuase i cant afford a huge range of colours or equiptment.

oh, and +rep to both of you.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    282 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by bt94 View Post
    im definatly going to try to use washes in my next models like you said although its difficult becuase i cant afford a huge range of colours or equipment.
    Well just make your own "cheep man wash" that's what I do, just mix your normal colour with allots of water and use that. Its works fine for armor and things like that, just don't smear it all over the model. If you are gentle it will work. Try out the amount of water by your self.
    Keep the paint diluted and thin :)
    (first rule in Zentradis book of painting)
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/Zentradi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really? i didnt realise that was a valid option. Thanks a bunch! ill try that out asap.

+ Reply to Thread