Help needed for color palette - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

42 (x1)

Help needed for color palette

I'm going to start painting my marines soon and want to have a realistic color tone for cityfights. I would like the base color to be graveyard earth, but I'm not too sure what colors to use with it for
    • Shading (brown? grey? dark flesh?)
    • Washes (brown?)
    • Highlights (bleached bone? white/GY earth mix?)
    • Weathering (dark brown or black? is black too dark and will be too sharp?)
    Basically I would like a reverse of this:

Where the armor will be the color of the helm in the picture, and shoulderpads & helm will the be cream color. Graveyard earth seems to be not quite brown but not quite gray and too dark to be tan so I'm having some issues matching which colors compliment it. I don't have experience with other paint lines other than GW so recommendations for the listed uses will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements

3 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

282 (x5)

Hi my opinion is

1. Dark flesh for shade, it has a little bit of red tone in it and that will bring deep for the shade. Also make it more interesting.

2.I shod go for a brown wash, I have not tried the new wash from GW so I don't know exactly witch one

3. Bleached bone, but to go directly from Graveyard earth to bleached born will not look so good. Depending on your time spent mix it with the grave earth and work your way up (was that your plan?).

4. Dont use black for the weathering.

Well actually you can but only if you are planing to highlight the weathering. In the case of highlighted weathering start with black, then paint it brown, but leave some of the black in the upper part of the scratch (because the light will most of the time come from a bow. Then you can highlight the lower part of the scratch wit the same colour as your extreme highlight of your armour.

Hop you understanding that, and that it made sense.
    Keep the paint diluted and thin :)
    (first rule in Zentradis book of painting)

+ Reply to Thread