Bases and Moldlines (newbie) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bases and Moldlines (newbie)

Greetings!

We (girlfriend and i) are sitting here now with 20 Marines before us and we are not sure where to continue from here.

In a few guides I have read there is a saying "remove the moldlines" from the model, now are those the thin lines that goes around his head (like it was cut in half) and on the legs?

If it's those, how do you easily remove them? by using a scalpel of some sort and just scrape it off or file it down?

And about the bases, we plan on using modeling gravel with a color of burnt black that came in the size 0.5mm to 2mm.
    Would you advice on putting the model on first or after? It might be hard to put the model on the base if its just a lot of gravel, hard to make him stick? This could be solved by pinning him to the base, but that as well might just lead to a lot of extra work that might not even be the way to go.

Well hope you can help us out here!

//Thanks! Martin and Annie

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try using a file or an xacto knife to get rid of mold lines. As for basing its usually the last step as you wouldn't want to mess it up with glue or paint.
    We stand at the gates of sacrifice ever ready to go through.What do we want? To die only once our goal is complete! What do we ask? That we may only serve!Who are you?We are the Last Remnants,the unfettered soldiers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x2)

Two ways:
    - cutter (what they use for the carpet), but do not cut, only slowly scratch (pull sideways, do not cut).
    - If You are not familiar with the cutter, Your girlfriend can help with the different nail-files: use a small, fine file, and do not push it hard, so You can avoid the scratches. Also good if You move rond and different directions. But it is not so serious, as You will paint them and the fine lines will be filled when You coat them.

Also for the cutter: they are very sharp, sometimes I did cut off more from myself then from the model, so be careful!

---------- Post added at 00:53 ---------- Previous post was at 00:45 ----------

Basing:
    That is my opinion, I like to glue the models first, but be careful when You put the glue on the base for the gravel. Some people does not like this way because the models look like sinking in the sand. My reason is that I dont beleive that they can be properly glued to the gravel. (Maybe can with a good amount of glue, can work as the cement.)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Using your hobby knife to "scrape" off the lines is best. Files are good too, especially on metal models, though on plastic I find they dig it up too much, so I avoid using them with plastics.

As to basing, I think it comes down to whether you spray-prime or not. If you're like me, and you brush it on, you can glue them to the base after you've painted them, then add the gravel, prime, paint, and add grass (if desired). Many players like spraying it all at once, though, so they glue it all -- model and gravel -- before priming. This works too, though obviously you'll have to be VERY careful around your model's feet.

One other thing: Some "industrial" base decorations made out of plasticard don't use gravel at all. I've made a few myself (check the thread in my sig, and look at the first marine model for an example). In that case, I painted both base and model separately, then "pinned" the model to the base. Basically I drilled a small hole in the foot, drilled a similar hole in the base, and glued a rod (bit of paper clip, actually) through both holes, in addition to glueing the feet to the base.

Good luck, and post pics!
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    135 (x3)

Seams on plastic - hold an X-acto knife perpendicular to the line and gently scratch it off

Seams/flash on metal - use clippers to get as close as you can then use a file

Bases - personally I order resin bases and then cast'em myself to make a ton more (I do not sell them!) If you go the resin base route, clip enough of the pice that normally goes in the slot down to a thick "pin". Drill a quick hole in the resin and glue in! Then prime and paint away!
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    http://www.gamesandhobbies.com/ New Location Open on the north end!

+ Reply to Thread