Need help with industrial gaming board - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help with industrial gaming board

I am in the process of building a tri-fold portable gaming table. I just got 2 of the 4 building GW city kits, so i am going to make a ruined city based board.

This is my first board and I need help and advice on making a nice city board. 8 buildings should be adequate, correct?

I guess I will still start with a base of glued sand and paint it, and I have some decent ruined parts to add as permenant components. What is the best way to make roads?

Thoughts and advice? I will make a step-by-step post with pics of the entire build, I just want to do this right.

Thanks
    IM

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well first of all what size board are you going to make? the standard 6x4 or something else?

For roads: Personally what i did was just sand down a road pattern only a slight bit creating a small curb and a good texture, that or sand it down a bit more and coat it in black flock or fine rubble. Personally I make my roads 7 inches wide (good for a two way road) and my alleys are either 4 inches (if they come off a street) or 2 1/2 if it is an alley offshoot. Just how I did it. Also, don't forget storm drains, adds a great but realistic addition that lots forget.

As for your buildings, on a 6x4 board having 8 buildings is going to become fairly crowded if you are going for realistic sized streets and layouts. On my board (just a basic 6x4 with movable terrain) I use 4-6 buildings, depending on my road layout. Granted, I also do like a building heavy board, great looking, but really hard to move around troops on, if you do make it with a lot of buildings, really scale them down, don't leave too many high walls and only have 1 or two multiple story buildings.

Again these are really just my personal opinions on what makes a functioning, fun and attractive board.

Also, making a square or plaza makes for some amazing fights. My friend made one that is slightly stepped down with a fountain in a pool and it looks amazing.

Hopefully this helped you.
    Iske 12th Rangers (IG) (1500 pts) (W/L/D) 25-43-2 Da Dakkad Dizzy Deff Skullz (1500 pts) 1-0-2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a thought - I am building (getting well along with it now) a tri-fold 4 X 6 board (very similar to the folding table posted here, but tri fold.)

I think I am going to use 1" foam in 2 X 2 pieces - 6 total pieces will populate the entire board. I can glue the buildings to the foam and make permenant roads cut into the foam (and craters and such.)

I am going to make a square in the middle of the board, tall buildings to the rear and smaller buildings towards the middle. L like the idea of a fountain - I am thinking a statue... ...thanks for the idea of the storm drains - I will have to figure out how to make them, but I will have to get them in there.

I will cut a board and route the edged of the board for curbs and glue sandpaper on it to sand the roads out. Should work ok...

+ Reply to Thread