Highlighting Black - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    UnderWater Ninja-Tiger .. Xpyre35's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    147 (x3)

Highlighting Black

Hey guys, Does anyone have or know of an intermediate level process for highlighting black? I'm trying to highlight tyranid scything talons. I attempted to do a gradual drybrush highlight up to white, it just seemed to lighten the whole talon.

I'd like to do something like I see Eldar skimmers, where all the grooves are highlighted, but I have no idea how its done. So the just the edges of the talons would 'glow' white.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x1)

If you are worried about lightening up the nid, just hit the edges.

Games Workshop

I try to follow this method for my BT's, but I use a slightly darker color for my edges... It is still noticeable, but not as obvious...

The color I use is Reapers cloudy gray.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    264 (x6)

I rather like using Adeptus Battle Grey, it's sufficiently dark that it doesn't stand out too much from black and then from there you can work your way up to Skull White if you wish. I would start with a 50/50 mix of Chaos Black and Adeptus Battle Grey first, then just ABG and then go from there. I really disagree with using Fortress/Astronomican Grey, there's just too much margin for error and it's very, very bright.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

147 (x3)

Yeah, I sent the post in haste. I drybrush up to white, by using a chaos black/codex grey mix, codex grey, codex grey/white mix, skull white.

I guess I'm looking for more of a technique to keep the highlight small "thin". Like the highlights around the grooves of these skimmers.

Last edited by Xpyre35; April 20th, 2009 at 20:54.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

55 (x1)

yeah I dissagree with the colors too, that is why I change the colors... I only posted that tutorial as a reference as to HOW to apply it.. not WHAT to apply.

On a side note.. I have thought about doing an Eldar Army, but I want to be able to paint patterns like you see on those Wave Serpents... What technique do they use, and what type of brush?
    Last edited by MarxusTharin; April 20th, 2009 at 20:56.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    282 (x5)

Well ma by I can help a bit? (as I painted the second wave serpent...). Any way I shoud only use chaos black and white. First I shod paint the hole thing black, then I should mix whit in the black until I get colour I want for the extreme highlight (if you want it to be pure white on the edge just use pure white).

When you know the colour you what to have for the extreme highlight, then us use it on the edge, its ok if its get sloppy. Next ad a litter more black for the next layer and paint that one. Then ad more black for every layer until you have pure black in the shade.

This is go if you want a thin line that still has a nice shade, and the are is quite big, like a marine armour or a plate on the wave serpent. If you want to paint it faster use less layers but thin the paint, 3 layers will be fine for table top (I have about 10 on the serpent and also painted the layers a bit wet to make them blend together).

The bush I use is 5/0, kolinski hair or synthetic depending on what Im doing.

I wrote this about simple freehand painting a few years ago.

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...-freehand.html
    Keep the paint diluted and thin :)
    (first rule in Zentradis book of painting)
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/Zentradi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol, love the accent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

Just highlight, the very edges of the talon.

As for paint, it all depends on how "light" you what the highlights...

For different tones, I'd use Codex Gray to pick out the edges, then Fortress Grey to pick out the tips.

If you want to go further, grab a pot of gloss, thin a bit down and piant over the whole talon. Makes it all look hard and sharp!

Think you can find various tips, on the GW site, under Tyranids and Slaanesh Deamons.

Just my two bolter casings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

147 (x3)

Zentradi, thanx so much for the tips.

Also for everyone elses ideas, and tips. I'm a technical and visual learner, so if the steps are described or I can see the progression, I cna mostly mimic it. Plus the steps is great as I can do them, even if I can't SEE the change happening. I tend to need a distinct change in order for my eyes to pick up subtle color changes, as I'm partially color-blind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

55 (x1)

Sorry to be off topic.. but Zentradi if you painted that Wave Serpent you rock. It is a simple design but at the same time breathtaking. Great Job!

Xpyre35, I feel your pain. I'm colorblind too.
    Last edited by GamerRyan; April 21st, 2009 at 18:49.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast