Size Questions About City Terrain - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Size Questions About City Terrain

i have decided that i need to start working on city terrain but i have no idea what size to make things and since i am so CDO (that OCD in the right order) i am looking for help with measurements for lots of stuff. oh and i forgot to point out i want to do this with unruined buildings and environment (at least that is how i am seeing it), so i can use it for other games as well.

okay the meat of the thread as we start out:
    how big are standard doorway and windows?
    how much space is there between floors in a building?
    how wide is a normal roadway for basic car traffic (the width of 1,2, and 3 lane streets) ?

i am sure you can see where this is going so i will stop for now. if there is a city planner type program out there where it will scale the size of things for me that will save a great of time. the good news is i already have a map/ idea of how i want the city to look.

here is a list of some of the pieces i am looking to make:
    1 large warehouse w/ loading dock area 3-4 stories tall
    2 apartment building 2 stories
    3 tall office building 4-5 stories
    4 corner store (like a 7/11 not sure about gas pumps) 1 story
    5 department store front (like a bells, woolworths, or something found downtown) 2 stories
    6 strip mall 1 story
    7 tv/radio station w/ multi levels (several different sized floor) 3 stories
    8 monument, huge art piece, or fountain
    9 roads and sidewalk

now that i have put all that out there i just hope i will not get back messages that i have lost my mind and that i should check myself into a nut house. i would like to thank everyone in advance for their time and help (and yes i will rep those who help).

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Saviour of the worthy Lord Castellan Mik's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    97 (x1)

Hi

You are describing architectural requirements for reproducing an exact scale model of a particular layout (building, landscape, town planning, etc).

There is nothing wrong with this approach, however, it can be very costly - both in time and cost, also the end result may suffer... repeated use in games may easily damage any architectural nuances.

If, on the other hand, you are making a diorama (a snapshot model of a particular moment), then you are on the right track.

For most games, the terrain / game table, is one of three types:

1 It is a flattish table top with random pieces of individual terrain scattered about... buildings (ruined and not), rivers, roads, hills, etc.

2 It is modular, wherein the board is made up of tiles (1'x1', 2'x2', or whatever), and each tile is a component (a building, a factory, a monument, etc). Sometimes a number of tiles can be put together to form a larger structure.

3 It is a one piece (or a couple of pieces) board where the terrain is built in and attached... like a diorama or photograph.

Type 1 has the most versatility and variety, however can lack a 3D element.
    Type 2 is common practice and the tiles can be shuffled for more variety.
    Type 3 is common for specific, repeated, historical battles.

There is a 4th type, which incorporates all of the above methods on one board.

As to specific architectural info... there are books from the library, searches on the www, and forums such as this (try searching for CoD - Cities of Death, or Cityfight).

Hope this helps

Mik
    Stress… is when you wake up screaming
    and realise you haven't fallen asleep yet.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    572 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by cordog008 View Post
    i have decided that i need to start working on city terrain but i have no idea what size to make things and since i am so CDO (that OCD in the right order) i am looking for help with measurements for lots of stuff. oh and i forgot to point out i want to do this with unruined buildings and environment (at least that is how i am seeing it), so i can use it for other games as well.
    Cool Idea. Like it.
    okay the meat of the thread as we start out:
    how big are standard doorway and windows?
    In 40k terms doorways are 1" wide and 2.5" tall on CoD buildings so that is a good scale to copy. Windows on CoD buildings are hard to duplicate so I guess you'll be using simple squares with frames and glass. From what I've seen on scratch made buildings it's anywhere between 0.5" x 0.5" to 1" x 1"
    how much space is there between floors in a building?
    3"
    how wide is a normal roadway for basic car traffic (the width of 1,2, and 3 lane streets) ?
    In real life not too sure. 10 foot? 8 foot?In 40k I usually use about 10" so infantry can't cross it in one turn, leaving them in the open if they don't fleet.
    i am sure you can see where this is going so i will stop for now. if there is a city planner type program out there where it will scale the size of things for me that will save a great of time. the good news is i already have a map/ idea of how i want the city to look.

here is a list of some of the pieces i am looking to make:
    1 large warehouse w/ loading dock area 3-4 stories tall
    2 apartment building 2 stories
    3 tall office building 4-5 stories
    4 corner store (like a 7/11 not sure about gas pumps) 1 story
    5 department store front (like a bells, woolworths, or something found downtown) 2 stories
    6 strip mall 1 story
    7 tv/radio station w/ multi levels (several different sized floor) 3 stories
    8 monument, huge art piece, or fountain
    9 roads and sidewalk

Quite a lot then! I now kinda realise that this may not be for 40k but as long as its 20-28mm then you should be fine.

now that i have put all that out there i just hope i will not get back messages that i have lost my mind and that i should check myself into a nut house. i would like to thank everyone in advance for their time and help you're welcome! (and yes i will rep those who help).
    Hope I helped mate!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the help guys. the idea of basing all parts so that i can change up layout was bouncing around in my head already. my little map everything is marked off to be free from everything else. my new question is about how big should the foot print for the buildings be? i know there will be more questions soon but right now my brain is working on waking up and getting ready for work.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    572 (x8)

I'd say about an inch away from the buildings. One tip is to base the edges of your buildings with sidewalks then it's easy to make roads

Saviour of the worthy Lord Castellan Mik's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    97 (x1)

Another point to consider...

The size of roads, open spaces, gaps between buildings, etc, are also dictated by what you want them to allow to be in those spaces.

A road that is only wide enough for a Rhino or Leman Russ will not allow a Land Raider or Baneblade enough space... kerbs, street lights, signs, etc

A narrow gap between buildings will not allow the base for a Heavy weapon team to be placed or a Sentinel to pass.

Generally, use the minis that will use the board as a guide to size... a Marine is a very large man, a Guardsman is a normal sized man, a Terminator would not get through... in relation to doors, etc.

I've been basing my scale on wether I want a person / vehicle to access an area or not be able to, by using the actual pieces... some areas deny access deliberately.

Mik
    Stress… is when you wake up screaming
    and realise you haven't fallen asleep yet.

+ Reply to Thread