Highlighting help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Highlighting help

I'm just a little confused when it comes to highlighting. Like what color should you use to highlight an object and where exactly should the highlights be applied.

Example, a darker green Tau, armor is all darker green, gun is green except on the vents and tips which are a brighter blue. All symbols and emblems and such are a brighter blue.

What colors would I use to highlight him, and where would the effect be best applied.

Roses are Red
    Violets are Blue
    If I'm Schizophrenic
    Then I am too!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

Most model paint ranges have gradations where you can just move to the next lighter shade in the line to make it easy. e.g., if you're using GW paints, You can go Dark Angels Green -> Snot Green -> Goblin Green

You can also mix your own colours of course! Just be careful, it's a common newbie mistake to try to make shades and highlights by adding chaos black and skull white to the base color. If you want a natural looking green, lighten it with yellow and darken it with scab red. For a man made dark angels power-armor type of green. Add tiny amounts of necron abyss to darken it and tiny amounts of bleached bone to lighten.

As far as where to put it, when you're just starting out, put it on raised areas and around the edges of plates (particularly effective for tau.) Then gradually experiment with more selectively choosing the places light would naturally fall as you get comfortable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x3)
    I put the Laughter back into Slaughter.
    Sons of Prometheus <click>
    Children of Murder <clic>

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

I think InquisitorAffe has adequately covered the colours for highlighting with. However, a favourite colour of mine to highlight with is Kommando Khaki. Its softer than Bleached Bone, but can give some really nice colours/tones.

Again, InquisitorAffe covered this, the usual method and easiest is to apply your highlights to the edges of armoured plates or weapon barrel. When you are more confident, then you try blending highlights etc.

Kuffy

UnderWater Ninja-Tiger .. Xpyre35's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    147 (x3)

The chart in the post above has been most useful for me. It will really simplify the guess work. Plus its nice to have something concrete to refer to as alot of the shades I can't tell the difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x3)

A good way to figure out where the highlights will go on the model is to place it under lamp and observe where the light hits on the model. This will show you where the shadows and highlights will be on the model from the direction you placed the light source from.
    World Eater and Blood Angels striped 8/28/10

+ Reply to Thread