Spraying primer vs. brushing the primer - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Spraying primer vs. brushing the primer

I sprayed a few minis with black primer and interestingly I noticed that it's much easier to paint on top of sprayed paint than it is over brushed paint. Sprayed paint seems much rougher and new layers seem to grip onto it easier.

I haven't used white spray primer; does it actually stick onto the model as easily as the black spray primer? I've tried undercoating with white (by brushing) and it seems like much more work than with black paint - I'm using GW's color paints.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

is a hardcore rebel dutchie the great's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x3)

yeah white works just aswell as black and I agree i always use spray aswell, it is heaps quiker and far more convinient then painting it all on.

-DTG
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ungbloods.html

Come and join the YoungBloods social group!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x2)

I always seem to find that my white and black paints go a little gloopy.. when i am brush undercoating i usually use a damp brush to slightly thin it down.

If you're using a primer spray for undercoating, its designed to be rough so that the subsequent layers of paint have a good base to stick to. As i have previously posted here, i am now tending to use a grey primer.. usually car primer to give me a great base coat.

The reason for this is the grey is slightly darker than white and i think it makes it easier to see the details. When I use black i can't see a thing and always feel that I am painting blind. So i'll only use a black base coat when I am doing something that is predominantly black or dark.. big wings/tanks etc.

the thing that I want to know is.. why don't GW make Black and white foundation paints.. if you want to undercoat a model with multiple colours.. especially contrast colours.. they would be really handy for that.
    Last edited by leighjt; April 28th, 2009 at 13:12. Reason: spelling
    Current Army Status - Chaos - 15000 points, Orks (BadMoonz) - 3000 Points - Space Wolves - 4000 Points, Necrons - 2000 Points.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

There's probably some truth in that spraypaint has a better "texture," but I personally loathe spray-priming, for a number of reasons:

1) Most of it is oil-based, which stinks up the house as I leave it overnight to dry. Why they can't make ACRYLIC primer, I'll never know.

2) Spraying is, even for experienced sprayers I've talked to, an inexact science. Too much and you fill in the details. Too little, and you leave exposed parts. No matter how hard I've tried in the past, I have NEVER been able to fully coat a model in primer. In response, I'm told to "just touch it up with a brush." Well, that's a pretty tough job on metal models, but more importantly, if I'm going to have to use a brush anyway... why not brush on the primer in the first place?

3) Control. Not only does spray paint get on the model, but it gets on everything else unless you do it outside or spray into a box. Either way, you're wasting as much paint (more?) as you get on the model. That makes so little sense to me. Further, painting a model in pieces or stages is infinitely harder with spraying. Experts say "Well, you could just mask the areas you don't want the spraypaint to go." Easier said than done in some cases. I got a better idea: Just use the brush to make sure the primer goes only where YOU want it to go. It's much easier to avoid places where models get glued together. For that matter, chips and other defects are MUCh easier to fix with brush-on primer as a base.

Me, I use the brush all the way.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by leighjt View Post
    iusually car primer to give me a great base coat.
    Interesting What do car primers cost roughly? How do GW sprays behave differently when compared to car primers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x3)

I use a spray primers for metal models and a clear brush primer for the plastics, they both work fine and paint sticks just the only difference is you are taking the time to apply the primer with the brush making sure nothing gets missed.
    Last edited by fallvictim; April 28th, 2009 at 20:38.
    World Eater and Blood Angels striped 8/28/10

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

I try to spray first of all, its helps to undercoat it with spray. I then always. ALWAYS. Follow with a layer of brush on paint. I do have a secret though. PVA glue. A add a small amount of PVA to the mix - usually chaos black - and it seems to shrink to the mini which helps me a lot. Also, it does seem to have a thinning effect with enough water added to make it all liquid rather than gloop. Works for me anyway.

Kuffy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

I usually brush on primer. I don't paint a large volume of models so the time isn't too much of an issue. I feel like I can control the primer better that way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    215 (x4)

I only use spray on primers. I prime outside and use and old drawer, less the face, as my priming box, which keeps overspray from getting everywhere. Not only do I use the typical white and black primers, I use Almond, Khaki, and Camo Green, depending on the desired end color of my figures. My goal is always the most figures, to acceptable quality, in the least amount of time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

I brush on my prime coat, first thinning down the paint.

I rarely use white anyomore, as I am "white blind".

Thank GW for those "foundation" paints.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast