what do you use to get motivated to paint - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what do you use to get motivated to paint

so everyone ii'm finally getting some time to paint, and i am having trouble getting motivated. what do you guys usually do to get yourselves motivated?

i might just need to go play a few games...

Ultramarines WIP

i'm determined to screw up painting till i get it right...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

Have a computer full of example pictures so you don't get painter's block.
    Eldar
    Tyranids

Senior Member Inquisitor_Naravus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by sniffle View Post
    so everyone ii'm finally getting some time to paint, and i am having trouble getting motivated. what do you guys usually do to get yourselves motivated?

i might just need to go play a few games...

I personally only really paint while listening to 40k radio or when watching something. I suppose my motivation however is the prospect of upcoming tournaments which require models to be painted to some degree.

If you are not a tournament player, I suggest browsing through the painting forums to get some creative juices flowing (used to do this awhile ago).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

I find a few things get me motivated, but the top ones are:

Wanting to use a new unit/model in a game (I try to play games fully painted if it is at all possible, especially WM/Hordes, as it normally only has <20 models in an army...)

Painting with a group of friends (getting even one other person to sit down and spend half a day painting with makes the experience much more enjoyable... get in a DVD or some music and some food, and away you go!)

Setting deadlines (even if they are just for yourself, with no external pressure, a realistic deadline can really help out with your painting... 200pts per month really isn't so hard, just check out the Tale of Painters threads!)

-t.
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once you have painted say 500 points play against another fully painted 500 point army. There is nothing like playing with fully painted armies. So your desire to play with painted mini's will drive you onwards!

I cannot stand playing with unpainted mini's and so its how i get all my painting done. (Just before anyone calls me a jerk I do not not play people who have unpainted armies, i keep my annoyance to myself)

Remember this is hobby so go at your own pace and hope for rainy days (because then you get board and have nothing else to do)!

Senior Member Inquisitor_Naravus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by minus_t View Post
    Painting with a group of friends (getting even one other person to sit down and spend half a day painting with makes the experience much more enjoyable... get in a DVD or some music and some food, and away you go!)
    Forgot to mention painting parties! My group and I usually meet on weekends and paint while watching a few movies and having a couple (read several) drinks. Our models occasionally get pretty interesting towards the early morning >.<

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

I usually find looking at an unpainted model prompts me to paint it - of course the fact I paint before assembly helps at it means I don't get to use it even in friendly games until I'm done

Currently I'm working on my stormlord, and my main motivation is I want it finished (while looking good) so I can start work on painting my friend's eldar army as he's paying me for it which in turn will fund a few new models for me
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    83 (x2)

I paint to get the voices out of my head...

I'm one of the types that don't like to play with unfinished models..
    so, take my chaos army as an example, i can only field about 1k points that are "complete"..

Then i have about another 2,5k of them left to do, not to mention all the side-projects and conversions i want to do.. most of it still in boxes.

and then theres around ~600 points of nids..
    and 1500-2000 points of Dark elves...

My love for painting and my wish to be able to field a completed army drives me on to keep at it, every single day, even if just for 5 minutes.

Soo, I've got my hands full for a while yet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    467 (x8)

Like others, I like to have a completed army.

I also like the competitions and other things run on here for fun. Camel-Aid (bid bid bid) got me so interested in painting different things that I kind-of over did it.

What I do to not get disheartened is to mix it up a bit. I won't block paint a whole army at once. I'll have 2 armies on at once and alternate between that and other stuff, so it doesn't get repetitive.
    Cervantes: In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x1)

I paint when I am stressed..

I found painting miniatures to be very relaxing and therapuetical. I used to have a patience problem... (not any more)

I also paint when a new D&D campaign comes up and I require a new miniature to portray my character, or other characters..

I don't mind using D&D miniatures (pre-painted) for the run of the mill bad guys, but for the party and for any big villains, I have to have something with more detail and care... I may not be a great painter, but I put out some pieces that I believe look a lot better than the pre-painted crud out there.

So the key points.. Anti-stress, and necessity spur my painting.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast