"True Scale" Russ - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"True Scale" Russ

This is just in the prototype/idea stage. What are the thoughts on scaling up the dimensions on a Leman Russ, to fit the current style onto a set of Land Raider track assemblies? And I don't mean slapping a Leman Russ turret on a Land Raider, I mean it will look like a Leman russ, only be 150-175% the standard size.

It would require a great deal of plasticard scratch building, but I think the overall effect would look alot better with the 28mm figures.

The various bits of info I have collected about the web say that a sponsonless Russ carries a crew of 4 (Driver, comander, gunner, loader) 40-50 rounds for the main gun, 600 or so rounds for the hull heavy bolter, as well as running on an internal conbustion engine of some sort. Sponsons would add 2 more crew members, as well as ammo/power feeds for the weapons.

While I have yet to see a baneblade in person, as best as I can tell the change would make for a leman russ that is 1/3 to 1/2 the size of the baneblade. Which the only real sticking point comes into LOS issues, which cut both ways.

Thanks for the read.

questions, comments, crude remarks?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    240 (x4)

More realistically sized and armed are always good mate. GW almost never leaves enough inner room for actual firing mechanisms, ammo, engine and fuel, even though their designs are pretty cool.

For some variants, I recently stumbled across this, might give you some inspiration.

Tank Inspiration

I Expect the Inquisition RecklessFable's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    210 (x5)

The Forgeworld Malcador is pretty close to this idea, but damned pricey.

My only concern with doing something like this is that during game play you will end up with a screening unit that is 50% more effective at hiding your artillery behind it :p
    RecklessFable's Journey to Mediocrity (Painting an IG army)
    I've been addicted to World of Tanks lately and neglecting my IG... But it is so... much... fun!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    240 (x4)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x1)

A slightly beefed up Russ style hull/turret would look great on backwards Land Raider tracks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm...now for the hard part. Get back to working on my marines, finish my ork wagons, or start mocking up a prototype of this project.

BTW: thanks for all of pics for ideas of what to do.

I think the fact that the 50% bigger being a double edged sword will make up for itself. Yes, things can hide behind it better, but I have suddenly made it 50% easier to target with true line of sight in effect. :-) maybe not hit mind you, but easier to target.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by RecklessFable View Post
    My only concern with doing something like this is that during game play you will end up with a screening unit that is 50% more effective at hiding your artillery behind it :p
    Indeed. Scratch-built stuff can definitely give you an unfair advantage. I remember playing a game of LOTR against a scratch-built Ballista. It looked cool and all, but the guy placed a huge piece of balsa wood on its back, completely obscuring LoS to the (would-be pincushion) crewmen. But enough ranting.

Meph, those are some cool Russes that you linked to (this is what happens when a gaming Mod comes over to the Modelling forum every once and a while).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

comparing a russ track assembly directly to a raider track assembly it looks like it is about 25% bigger. Which pretty much means an increase of 50% overall if I am figuring correctly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x1)

What I find funny about all the tanks... this is supposed to be the 41st millenia... After WW1 and WW2 we noticed that our tanks were too bulky and tall, and that the angles didn't help..

Enter

So much more effective than the

So why has the imperium reverted?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have a good answer to that.

I however do have a few silly ones:

1) Only Eldar and Tau and Tzeetch/SLanesh get sleek and secy vees.

2) An Abrams would look silly with sponsons. Or not, might have to try it.

3) Maybe the french thing that the Russ is based on was public domain, therefore they didn't have to pay for the IP they worry so much about.

Peace,

Going to go to town tomorrow and see about some Plastic card, just can't resist getting one of these made, if it looks too big it can always be a battlewagon.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast